PDA

View Full Version : In regards to least aggressive polishes/pads first...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JetBlackBMW
06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
I used the Flex 3401 with a LC green very light cutting pad and Wolf Gang Total Swirl Remover on soft jet black clear coat. I was not able to remove all swirls and scratches so I need something stronger.

I just ordered LC orange pads and both Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Meguiars 105.

Keeping in mind that I need something stronger than what I mentioned above for BMW soft jet black paint...my question is: should I try the LC orange pad with the Wolf Gang Total Swirl Remover next or should I try the Meguiars UC with same LC green very light cutting pad next? Im not sure which would be the least aggressive next step - a stonger polish with the same pad or the same polish with a stronger pad...Feed back please

Dr Oldz
06-01-2011, 08:07 PM
It's very tough to say what works on what paint. The best suggestion is to do test areas with different product/pad combos untill you find your level of correction desired. But if it were me, I would try the pad first in this instance Unless there are a good amount of swirls remaining, then ai'd up the product.

mbkite
06-01-2011, 08:16 PM
UC compound is stronger than 105
so don't use the UC on the soft paint
just my 2 c..

JetBlackBMW
06-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I thought I read that 105 was stronger than UC. Thanks for letting me know, I will use 105 first.

john b
06-01-2011, 08:47 PM
It's very tough to say what works on what paint. The best suggestion is to do test areas with different product/pad combos untill you find your level of correction desired. But if it were me, I would try the pad first in this instance Unless there are a good amount of swirls remaining, then ai'd up the product.

i second that-try a different pad before a different product

loudog2
06-01-2011, 08:49 PM
If it is soft your going to need to do at least a 2 step. Use the TSR with a white pad first, then orange. After that you will need to use a gray pad with a finishing polish.

skipper1
06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I thought I read that 105 was stronger than UC. Thanks for letting me know, I will use 105 first.

Before you begin you might want to look at this from Mike Phillips when he was with Meguiar's.

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40514&highlight=product+chart)

john b
06-01-2011, 08:59 PM
If it is soft your going to need to do at least a 2 step. Use the TSR with a white pad first, then orange. After that you will need to use a gray pad with a finishing polish.

does that work good of soft paint white then orange?

loudog2
06-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I mean if the white doesn't work then try orange. I just did my car with soft black paint. I had to use power finish on a white pad to get the bigger stuff out, but that combo left marring. So I followed up with 106FA on a gray pad and all was good.

gmck
06-01-2011, 09:10 PM

You are correct. M105 is way more aggressive than Ultimate Compound. UC is a consumer product. UC is still rated as aggressive so if you have it you can try it, but if it doesn't remove the defects then M105 will.

The LC green is their lightest polishing pad. Next is white and then orange. Just take it a step at a time by changing the pad on a couple of test spots. If your swirls are deep you'll probably end up needing M105 on orange, but there is no need to rush it. Common sense and experience says that you'll probably need M105/Orange, but you don't learn anything if you don't step through the full range of pads/products to find the least aggressive combo.

Don't get too carried away about soft paint. Not all BM blacks are soft, so don't just assume yours is. If the Wolfgang polish is a swirl remover and it is not removing the swirls then it would suggest that your paint is not so soft. I presume you are using a DA, what speed (5-6) and pressure (enough to just allow the pad to spin, which is a lot - the pad will be really compressed)

Get rid of the swirls and defects first and then refine your process. The best polishes for BMs are Menzerna, but if you already have Megs, go with M105 followed by M205 (which is way less agressive than UC) after the defects are removed on a white or green pad and that will probably do it for you. Finally get some Menzerna P085RD to finish up with on a black or blue pad.

I can't comment on Wolfgang because I've never used it.

JetBlackBMW
06-01-2011, 09:21 PM
UC compound is stronger than 105
so don't use the UC on the soft paint
just my 2 c..

I just looked at a chart from Meguiars saying that 105 has more cut than UC. What has been your experience with this? You mentioned not to use UC on soft paint...did it not workout for you and you like 105 better on soft paint? Please let me know - thanks

maximus20895
06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
If it's Jet Black then it's pretty much going to be soft. The painting process is different from other BMW paint colors. The Jet Black BMW paint is very popular for this.

JetBlackBMW
06-01-2011, 09:32 PM
You are correct. M105 is way more aggressive than Ultimate Compound. UC is a consumer product. UC is still rated as aggressive so if you have it you can try it, but if it doesn't remove the defects then M105 will.

The LC green is their lightest polishing pad. Next is white and then orange. Just take it a step at a time by changing the pad on a couple of test spots. If your swirls are deep you'll probably end up needing M105 on orange, but there is no need to rush it. Common sense and experience says that you'll probably need M105/Orange, but you don't learn anything if you don't step through the full range of pads/products to find the least aggressive combo.

Don't get too carried away about soft paint. Not all BM blacks are soft, so don't just assume yours is. If the Wolfgang polish is a swirl remover and it is not removing the swirls then it would suggest that your paint is not so soft. I presume you are using a DA, what speed (5-6) and pressure (enough to just allow the pad to spin, which is a lot - the pad will be really compressed)

Get rid of the swirls and defects first and then refine your process. The best polishes for BMs are Menzerna, but if you already have Megs, go with M105 followed by M205 (which is way less agressive than UC) after the defects are removed on a white or green pad and that will probably do it for you. Finally get some Menzerna P085RD to finish up with on a black or blue pad.

I can't comment on Wolfgang because I've never used it.

thanks man - according to reviews on autogeek - Wolf Gang is made by Menzerna and it is supposed to be more user friendly than Menzerna so thats why I went with it. The total swirl remover is similar to Menzerna SIP/IP and the Wolf Ganf Finishing Glaze is similar to 106f. I used the LC green corse pad (which is in between the orange and white) with the total swirl remover and need something stronger so thats why I ordered the Meguiars UC and 105. I used the Flex 3401 on speed 6 and used firm pressure....maybe I need to work it in longer??? I did about 12 passes and it looked like it was getting dry so should I have kept going??

I did go with a Menzerna for the final polishing....I got the Menzerna FP II to finish on blue pad

JetBlackBMW
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
If it's Jet Black then it's pretty much going to be soft. The painting process is different from other BMW paint colors. The Jet Black BMW paint is very popular for this.

What would you recommend that I try next? I used the Wolf Gang total swirl remover (which is equivalent to Menzerna SIP/IP in power) with a LC green coarse pad (in between the orange and white pad) on the Flex 3401 on speed 6 with firm pressure and I still have a few swirls and scratches??? thanks

maximus20895
06-01-2011, 09:42 PM
I would try UC on an orange pad or maybe even 105 on an orange pad. if that doesn't work I would get some surbuf pads and use 105 with it. These must be some really bad swirls.