PDA

View Full Version : Confused about downward pressure when buffing

grambow
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I am hoping someone can give me a clear explanation on how much downward pressure to use when buffing. I understand different pads, polishes, and steps in the process require different downward force. For the purpose of this post, consider the Megs MF System using the Correction Compound to remove fine swirl marks. How do I tell how much pressure I need and then how do I tell how much pressure I am using?. Thanks!

Almost forgot: Using the Griots DA.

Slate G8 GT
06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I put a black line on the back of my backing plate, set the GG to 3.5 or 4 and put enough pressure where the pad was spinning about 1 revolution per second for 2 to 3 section passes, then I lightened up on the pressure and pretty much left the weight of the machine and did another 2 section passes. This worked great on my car, it has soft paint though so if you have harder clear you may have to do another pass or 2 with pressure. This was with the 5.5" MF pads and D300.

dougaross
06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
You want to apply about 15lbs pressure. Take your polisher and press down on a bathroom scale. That should help you get a feel for the right amount of pressure.

Joe@Superior Shine
06-01-2011, 08:27 PM
You want to apply about 15lbs pressure. Take your polisher and press down on a bathroom scale. That should help you get a feel for the right amount of pressure.

.............. It should also get your bathroom scale swirl free.

flyinion
06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Digital scales ftl. I tried that the other day and my bathroom scale wouldn't register jack until about 22lbs. My kitchen scale bombed out when I hit 11lbs. lol.

ride5150
06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
.............. It should also get your bathroom scale swirl free.

hahaha:P :xyxthumbs:

indiej1
06-01-2011, 11:52 PM
good idea for practising. also warn users of the slick bathroom scale