PDA

View Full Version : CQuartz Not Compatible with XPEL Clear Bra

HeavyMetal
06-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I did my wife's Lexus over Memorial Day with CQuartz. As Avi suggested, I checked compatibility by putting some CQ on an inconspicuous area of the film (underside of passenger mirror). The CQ did cloud the XPel film so I did not CQ that - it got a coat of Menz Powerlock. Just letting all know in case your run into a car with XPel on it.

Car turned out gorgeous. You can shave in it. I'll post pics tomorrow.

DARK HORSE
06-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I did my wife's Lexus over Memorial Day with CQuartz. As Avi suggested, I checked compatibility by putting some CQ on an inconspicuous area of the film (underside of passenger mirror). The CQ did cloud the XPel film so I did not CQ that - it got a coat of Menz Powerlock. Just letting all know in case your run into a car with XPel on it.

Car turned out gorgeous. You can shave in it. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Good info, thanks for sharing it! Did you let it cure and then try to buff it off?

HeavyMetal
06-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Appiled and buffed off per instructions on the bottle - exactly what Avi said to do. It hazed the XPel film a milky white. Only a small spot, you can't see it. It looks like it started to disappear. I'll watch it and let members know if it's permanent. CQ will not haze the Xpel if you wipe it off right away. I got a little on while I was doing the hood and fenders. Just wiped it off quickly with no hazing of the plastic, so it does require some dwell time before the carrier solvent in the CQ affects the XPel film.

FUNX650
06-01-2011, 11:59 AM
The CQ did cloud the XPel film so I did not CQ that...Just letting all know in case your run into a car with XPel on it.

Good info.

Nowadays, (and with warranty issues being paramount for this expense to avoid paint chips, etc.), most PPF manufacturers have their own recommended products line. To never be in doubt, I either contact the PPF manufacturer (such as: XPel Technology, Inc.); the installer, if possible; or Premier Protection Film, International. They are more than willing to share their knowledge and they have file cases full of PPF failures from usage of improper products on all the various manufacturers of PPF.

That's what I go by...others may not agree.

Bob

Vellie
02-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I'll post pics tomorrow.
I musta missed the pictures