PDA

View Full Version : engine cleaning

bk2nrml
05-31-2011, 11:14 PM
this is something thats always scares the crap out of me when i think about trying it. all of those electronics and stuff under the hood and all. but, i want to give it a shot. ive read about all the different products around the forum but i havent been able to find a beginning to end tutorial or video on how to do it. found a few over on youtube but im not sure id trust some of the things i saw over there :laughing: anybody have a link or care to jump off on a detailed process ? im planning on going the cd-2 route. the cars are an 86 951 (944 turbo) and an 03 996.

thanks
thyno

Rayaz
06-01-2011, 01:09 AM
I have had great luck with the Optimum all purpose at 3:1. I winced at the cost but feel it's worth it. I used it on my 85 300D that has not been clean since...well, 1985. Diesels are notorious gunk magnets since filter changes result in fuel spills in hard to reach areas.

With a little mild agitation on the really crusty areas it was amazing. I had to go back a re-lube the mechanical linkage, but the point is, only enough water to rinse the cleaner off was necessary for a like new clean. I used a leaf blower to dry it out and then let it idle with the hood closed for a few minutes to get it really good and dry.

I think if you avoid directing forceful water directly into the sensitive electronics, you will be fine. The one time I had a little rough idle due to moisture, it cleared right up as soon as the engine compartment dried up. It doesn't take long when it's 110 out.

Don't be scared. It's not a big deal!

bk2nrml
06-01-2011, 06:34 AM
is there anything under the hood that needs to be protected from the water ?

Mike Phillips
06-01-2011, 06:46 AM
is there anything under the hood that needs to be protected from the water ?

Your questions and concerns are valid as a mistake can cost you a lot of time and money not to mention a headache.

Also, if you were a detailer working on one of these types of cars for a custom and made a mistake can you imagine how much fun it would be to tell the owner something went wrong but you don't know what?

That's why I wrote this article... protect yourself from losing time and money and avoid a headache. The below article is in my article list,

How to use a Discussion Forum to Detail an Engine (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/)

:)

Rayaz
06-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I have not had any such problems but I don't do this for a living. I defer to those who do.