PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Yellow Corvette with Overspray

fredcandetail
05-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Booked a detail for tomm for one of my regulars that indicates he has some overspray on his vehicle from a fender repair.. Probably clear coat overspray, client says it's tint coat yellow (not sure what that means). He also says it's sticky and picks up dust

I've got mild to aggressive clay and think at the worst case scenario the aggressive will get it as it's only a week old and he says bug and tar remover got most of it.

After the aggressive clay I've got SIP and 85RD or 205 and 21

To my Vette owners what combo do y'all recommend of the two?

Thx

oldmodman
06-01-2011, 03:06 AM
From your description it sound like the middle coat of clear has yellow in it. Unless the painter took a short cut and just applied one really thick coat of clear, with yellow in it. Be very careful. It may not have had enough hardener added to it during the mixing process, or it may just me too thick to have fully cured. Either way aggressive claying or polishing could "grab" the surface and "tear" or slide it around.

ScottB
06-01-2011, 07:56 PM
claying should work ... love the Menzerna combo too .

jsgntulok
06-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Suggest he take back to the body shop and have them fix the problem.

fredcandetail
06-01-2011, 10:25 PM
hit up the Vette today with mild and agressive clay and while it was tacky for some reason the paint in the area was cured ... im guessing as it was behind the tire it probably picked up something on the road .. Megs Super degreaser cleaned up the tackiness BUT it still had some staining ... after claying and polishing nothing .. turns out it was stained and when painted no effort was made to clean it ... so it got fixed and then the whole fender got sprayed thereby sealing in the stain .. explained to the customer and he inderstood as he stood right by me and saw me clay it and even hit it with 105.
after seeing Cosmin's work using 205 i just had to try it again ... Used the Flex with a white pad and OMG! Yellow paint absolutely glowed after M21 !! The customer was so at a lost of words that he said it looked "plastic-y" ... my interpretation was "i love the wet look" :P

I have two quarts of 205 that have hit the back of the shelf due to using Menz Micro Polish and 85RD and might just have to bring them back out

Note to self ... customers really do a bad job of describing problem areas! I was expecting to see non cured paint etc etcf and it was not even close LOL