PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat failure and my next project.

James K
05-31-2011, 03:44 PM
This is a test spot I just did on a Jetta. It has SEVERE clear coat failure. Every vertical surface is thrashed, and the rear bumper has major peeling and flaking. It has every stage of clear coat failure on it.

I know I can't fix it, but I am going to try to make it look as good as possible. This is a test spot I rubbed by hand with a MF towel and Mothers Machine Glaze. I topped it with DP Poli-Coat sealant. I plan on trying to take a green compressor pad and the Mothers over the entire car and see what I can get.

Should be fun.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/M4Operator/IMAG0204.jpg

I just have to figure out what I am going to do on the flaking parts. I really can't ruin it any more, so I am just trying to make it look a little more presentable.

Jons6.7
05-31-2011, 09:13 PM
I have always wondered what you could do when I see this type of issue, other than repaint, give us a walk through when your done will ya?

James K
05-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Will do. Like I said, I now that a lot of the areas are beyond repair. I am just going to make it look as good as I can. Try to see what can and can not be saved type thing. I will document it fully, but will not get a chance to work on it for close to a month.

Flash Gordon
05-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Thats going to look great. Get ready to permanently stain some pads :buffing:

PAR Detailing
05-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Have you considered using opti-coat on it after you finish polishing? That would be a really cool test and would possible/probably hold onto the freshly polished look longer.

ChrisJ
06-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Have you considered using opti-coat on it after you finish polishing? That would be a really cool test and would possible/probably hold onto the freshly polished look longer.

I would like to see this as well...

Flash Gordon
06-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Are you sure thats not single stage?

James K
06-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Thats going to look great. Get ready to permanently stain some pads :buffing:

Yeah, I plan on it. I doubt it will look great, just hopefully better.

I have thought about it. It all depends on what it looks like when I am done polishing.

I would like to see this as well...

Me too. LOL

Are you sure thats not single stage?

I am sure. The clear coat is actually peeling off the bumper. The car really needs to be repainted, and it will be repainted. So while it is still like this it is an experimental vehicle for me.

ChrisJ
06-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I plan on it. I doubt it will look great, just hopefully better.

I have thought about it. It all depends on what it looks like when I am done polishing.

Me too. LOL

I am sure. The clear coat is actually peeling off the bumper. The car really needs to be repainted, and it will be repainted. So while it is still like this it is an experimental vehicle for me.

Do work

James K
06-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Yes dad.

ChrisJ
06-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Yes dad.

I prefer Papi and say it like you mean it...

James K
06-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Lmao!!!!!!!

ChrisJ
06-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Lmao!!!!!!!

Do IT!