PDA

View Full Version : When using MF towels with ONR...

Pages : [1] 2

newb001
05-31-2011, 02:27 PM
(just saw this posted on the optimum forum, with no answers yet, and it's something I've been meaning to ask as well):

...do you use the thickest/plushest you can find to both wash and dry, do you use thicker to wash, less thick to dry? etc...??? I always feel bad using my really good, plush (and not cheap) MF towels to do an ONR wash. I hate how dirty they get...

Also, roughly speaking, how many towels per section should I be using? If I fold the towel into 8 sections should I get more than 1 panel out of a towel? I like to be extra careful but so far can't figure out the best method. Watching some of the videos on people demonstrating ONR, it seems like they go over an entire area (i.e. a door, including the lower part) with just one cloth (often just 1 side of the cloth), going from top to bottom to top again. Seems to me that that would just be dragging dirt around the door. I would think it's best to do one pass, flip and/or rinse, another pass, flip, etc... using about 1 whole towel per section.

Also, I find that my drying towels get soaked so quickly, almost to the point of needing more than 1 towel per panel (have tried drying with both waffle weave and regular MF). Am I doing something wrong?

Lastly, after washing your dirty MF towels do you find that even if they are still stained, they are ok to use for ONR next time (if passing CD test)? I assume this is the case as it would be quite expensive otherwise to keep throwing them out...

Does anyone soak them in APC before washing?

Crazy Amos
05-31-2011, 02:42 PM
(just saw this posted on the optimum forum, with no answers yet, and it's something I've been meaning to ask as well):

...do you use the thickest/plushest you can find to both wash and dry, do you use thicker to wash, less thick to dry? etc...??? I always feel bad using my really good, plush (and not cheap) MF towels to do an ONR wash. I hate how dirty they get...

I hated how dirty they got and how they didnt release all of the dirt during the rinse. I have since switched to the blue LC grout sponge and love it. I use it for regular washes also because of how well it releases the dirt.

When I was using MF, I would use a long nap MF such as the CG Sasquatch.

Also, roughly speaking, how many towels per section should I be using? If I fold the towel into 8 sections should I get more than 1 panel out of a towel? I like to be extra careful but so far can't figure out the best method. Watching some of the videos on people demonstrating ONR, it seems like they go over an entire area (i.e. a door, including the lower part) with just one cloth (often just 1 side of the cloth), going from top to bottom to top again. Seems to me that that would just be dragging dirt around the door. I would think it's best to do one pass, flip and/or rinse, another pass, flip, etc... using about 1 whole towel per section.

One of the key "benefits" of ONR is that it encapsulates the dirt with a "slippery" barrier that doesn't allow the partical to scratch the surface. From my understanding, it doesn't really matter if the towel is dirty, meaning "dark" because the ONR has encompassed the particle and has made it "slippery". However, you don't want to have chunks of dirt, sand or pebbles because those will scratch due to there size and the ONR being unable to do what it does. I would flip it as you see fit. There isn't anything wrong with it. Maybe try doing an entire section with one side and see how it does. Just use you best judgement.

Also, I find that my drying towels get soaked so quickly, almost to the point of needing more than 1 towel per panel (have tried drying with both waffle weave and regular MF). Am I doing something wrong?

I use two towels for drying. One big, thick, long nap towel such as the CG Sasquatch and a second HD Cobra WW. I soak the majority of the water up with the thick long nap towel and then gently go back over the same area with the WW to absorb the rest. I can do the entire car with these two towels.

Lastly, after washing your dirty MF towels do you find that even if they are still stained, they are ok to use for ONR next time (if passing CD test)? I assume this is the case as it would be quite expensive otherwise to keep throwing them out...

Yes. Just be cautious.

Please ellaborate on this please.

Just a quick note. Not having a coat of protection on you vehicle will make an ONR wash much more difficult. Do you have some type of protection on it now?

FUNX650
05-31-2011, 03:54 PM
@ Troy Fuller....Thanks for your great responses to the OP's questions...you also answered some questions about ONR/MF towels usage that I've been pondering.

Bob

thewraith1971
05-31-2011, 04:31 PM
I was wondering this myself as I was looking to wash my car here with ONR within next month or so

ShineTimeDetail
05-31-2011, 09:23 PM
I soak mine in a 5 gallon bucket of water and oxi clean. I've soaked rags in apc.

tcfatboys
05-31-2011, 11:39 PM
I use the water blade first to remove most of the water

from there i use two mf towels / one in each hand so i don't leave finger print's behind
it makes the drying a little bit easier & faster

& to really get a nice car totally dry / i use an electric hand blower. It has a lot of power to dry between the side mirror's / the grill / door handles / ect

you can find this little machine at a motorcycle shop
like a harley davidson store. They use it to blow dry the bikes

hope you like the tip

Chris Thomas
05-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Don't use the water blade.

FUNX650
06-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks for mentioning this sagely advice!

Bob

dougaross
06-01-2011, 08:23 AM

For washing with ONR, I am a sponge man. I find they release dirt much easier than MF. I use Opti-mit, LC blue sponge or just grout sponges from Lowes. Somebody posted a tip about scoring, with a utility knife, the surface of grout sponges into small squares like LC Blue sponge.

Gurge
06-02-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm about 10 washes into my rinseless washing career, and recently started to include the water blade as I dry each section. I find it's much quicker

whats the harm exactly? am i marring the paint? i'm using care with the blade and just do a couple swipes per panel to get the bulk of the water. then follow with a guzzler ww towel

as for the original questions, I guess i'm not the best source for info here. But I've tried mf towels for rinseless wash media as well as mf chenille wash mitt. I personally prefer the chenille mitt using 2 bucket method and grit guard.

embolism
06-02-2011, 02:21 PM
For washing with ONR, I am a sponge man. I find they release dirt much easier than MF. I use Opti-mit, LC blue sponge or just grout sponges from Lowes. Somebody posted a tip about scoring, with a utility knife, the surface of grout sponges into small squares like LC Blue sponge.

Great idea. I don't like staining up my MF and regular washmitts...

slimnib
06-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I soak mine in a 5 gallon bucket of water and oxi clean. I've soaked rags in apc.

I mix the oxy clean in with Tide when I wash them out.

slimnib
06-02-2011, 02:56 PM

I was also told never to use a California duster.

dougaross
06-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I was also told never to use a California duster.

If used properly CD will not cause marring. Drag lightly with no pressure across paint.

jbgrant
06-02-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm about 10 washes into my rinseless washing career, and recently started to include the water blade as I dry each section. I find it's much quicker

whats the harm exactly? am i marring the paint? i'm using care with the blade and just do a couple swipes per panel to get the bulk of the water. then follow with a guzzler ww towel

Even on a just-detailed car, I won't use my waterblade on painted finishes. The risk is just too high. If there is a single abrasive contaminant on your paint, you are guaranteed to end up with a scratch with the squeegee; with a proper towel, the likelihood of a scratch is much reduced by the massive surface area of the towel compared to the edge of the waterblade. Moreover, if you’re doing a rinseless or waterless wash you are more likely to have heavy contaminants coming out of trim and crevices than if you first do a pressure rinse or at least a hose rinse before any actual paint contact.