PDA

View Full Version : try something different

bk2nrml
05-30-2011, 02:59 PM
im about done with my '86 944 turbo that i zaino'd. i'll probably start my '03 911 next weekend. since there is a great sale today, i was thinking of trying something different on that car, for comparison's sake. i was leaning towards wolfgang or menzerna products. when i get to looking around the store and the forum, i dont see too much talk about the menzerna products. is it because theyre difficult to use and nobody uses them ? are the wolfgang products the same as the menzerna ? seems i saw something in the store about the wolfgang products being made by menzerna, but maybe im wrong ? based on what the consensus seems to be from you guys, i'll then ask for a list of what i should get, if y'all would like to share. the car has some minor scratches and some swirl marks from washing. im not real worried about the time i'll have to spend on the car as long as it has a knockout, deep, liquid looking shine to it.

thanks in advance

thyno

Dr Oldz
05-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Both Wolfgang and Menzerna make great products. The Wolfgang twins are pretty much Menzerna power finish and super finish IME. Both brands finish down very nicely. Menzerna has a fuller line of polishes to offer so perhaps check out their chart on the page. I really like and use both brands a lot.

embolism
05-30-2011, 03:46 PM
do you have hard or soft paint?

I myself have soft and find that the diminishing abrasives in Menz polishes finish down better. I like having the option of doing power finish with an orange pad as a one stepper before lsp (yes it finishes down that well). Haven't tried TSR yet but I do have a sample.

If you have hard paint, then you might like M105/205 better.

Porsche Pilot
05-30-2011, 08:28 PM
You will love Menz on the 03 996. I use a combo of Menz Super Intensive Polish (if needed) followed by super finish on all of the Porsche's I polish...mine included. A great combo. Menzerna rep told me to skip the 85rd as the Super Finish was all that was needed. The WG twins are a fantastic alternative to Menz.

D_Nyholm
05-30-2011, 08:46 PM
I too use Menzerna polishes on my 01 911 turbo (black). I'll use an orange LC pad with Menzerna SIP (if you need that much correction), followed by a white LC pad and Menzerna 106FA (nano), and then a LC black pad and 106 again. Once every 2 years or so, I use a white LC pad and SIP followed by a black pad and Nano. I've had really good performance out of this procedure. Porsche paint seems to be pretty darn soft so you don't need to get very aggressive with it. At the last show I went to, I overheard a man telling his son that this is what new paint looks like! :)

bk2nrml
05-30-2011, 10:23 PM
i dont know if my paint is soft or hard. dont know how to tell the difference.

bk2nrml
05-30-2011, 10:30 PM
after using those 2 products, what are y'all topping off with ?

Porsche Pilot
05-31-2011, 06:56 AM
i dont know if my paint is soft or hard. dont know how to tell the difference.

If its factory 996 paint then it is definitely on the soft side. They correct fairly easily so you won't need to break out the 500 pound gorilla on it. As for topping it depends. Is she a garage queen? Daily driver? Weekend driver? Does she live outside or inside?

CrownKote
05-31-2011, 08:11 AM
If its factory 996 paint then it is definitely on the soft side. They correct fairly easily so you won't need to break out the 500 pound gorilla on it. As for topping it depends. Is she a garage queen? Daily driver? Weekend driver? Does she live outside or inside?

IME this is true! Porsche paint can be on the extreme of either soft or hard... Like most German cars... lol...

Most of the Porsche's I work on I use the Megs MFDA system then top with either Max Wax or Col 845... I get great complements using either of these... I do have a customer with a 968 that requests Supernatural and it looks great!

D_Nyholm
05-31-2011, 08:34 AM
As for toppers on my 911, I use Fuzion or Souveran, though ive basically switched ovrr to Fuzion since it looks better to me, has better durability, and is easier to remove.

I did pick up some maxwax that I use on my other cars and it seems very similar to Souveran imo.

bk2nrml
05-31-2011, 08:35 AM
both cars are in the carport and covered 90% of the time. the turbo was a daily driver when it was new but for the last 20 years has been just a weekender with an occasional drive to work. the 996 is a weekender and occasional drive to workand has never even been rained on. i was thinking of putting fuzion on it but want something between the last polishing and the fuzion, or do i need anything between them ? the turbo has the factory paint with the exception of some of the top surfaces that were pounded with softball sized hail within the first year that i had it. the top surfaces were repaired and repainted at a specialty shop and not the dealer. i trusted the specialty guy more than i did the dealership at the time. the 996 is all factory paint and never been damaged.

D_Nyholm
05-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, if durability isn't really a concern for you (I wax my 911 every 1-2 months so it really doesn't matter), then you don't need anything in between. If you want longer durability, you could use some Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Blackfire, Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection, or a similar sealant first, allow it to cure (usually 12 hours), then top with the carnauba of your choice. I originally did that but when i started waxing it so often, i never used the sealant again.

bk2nrml
05-31-2011, 03:21 PM
is it ok for the wg ps 3.0 curing to take place under a breathable car cover in the open carport (not garage) or does it need to be uncovered ?

D_Nyholm
05-31-2011, 03:38 PM
I don't see a problem with that at all. Worse thing is it might take a little longer to cure but I imagine it is a very small amount.