PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Red Dodge Ram

Trevor
05-30-2011, 12:43 PM
This weekend I removed the scratches/swirls on my dad's 1998 red Dodge Ram. He was a skeptic when I told him about what polishing could do, but is now firmly a believer!

This is my second vehicle I have done, so I'm still learning, but I found it to go way easier than my first time.

After a good wash with my foam gun, I used:

1. Turtle Wax liquid clay, followed by clay bar.
2. Wolfgang Swirl Remover 3.0.
3. LC CCS pads, orange.
4. Menzerna top inspection.
5. Collinite 845
6. Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel
7. Aerospace 303 protectant on cover and other trim.

I normally use a meguiars clay bar but over a year ago I bought the TW kit and decided to try it out on dad's vehicle rather than my own. :) I also cleaned the chrome with the liquid clay, which actually worked really well.

I tried to take a few before pics but couldn't get an accurate portrayal of what I was actually seeing with the naked eye. The difference was night and day though.

Anyway here are the pics, most people couldn't believe this was 1998 before the correction; I think it looks better than new now!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Ram_2.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Ram_Corrected.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/ram_3.JPG

Trevor
05-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Oops forgot one more.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/ram_side.JPG

Shane731
05-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Looks good! :props:

And with that, I have reached post #3000. Woohoo! Im the MAN

CrownKote
05-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Nice truck and outcome man... How did you like the TW Clay stuff?

Trevor
05-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Nice truck and outcome man... How did you like the TW Clay stuff?

Thanks! To be honest, I had pretty low expectations for the TW clay kit and was pleasantly surprised. The step 1 liquid clay worked well actually. The clay bar that comes with it is pretty small though.

BobbyG
05-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Here's a 13 year old truck that's been taken care of and it looks like new!! Now this is what I'm talking about!! :props:

You just got to love those Dodge Trucks! Awesome job Trevor!! :dblthumb2:

ChrisGT
05-30-2011, 11:06 PM
That looks fantastic!!

thewraith1971
05-30-2011, 11:10 PM
wow that red paint lasting on a dodge ram is amazing of itself and you make it look better than new is something i thought was not possible

jbgrant
05-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Looks very nice; impressive work on a vehicle like that? How many miles are on it? I don't see any corrosion anywhere!

As far as ICE Liquid Clay;
I use the ice liquid clay as a pre-treatment scrub compound before moving to clay bar for very dirty areas like lower fenders and rockers. I believe TW has discontinued it and it can be found very cheaply so I've stocked up. It's not a great product only because it is never going to give you a freshly-clayed finish in less work/time than an actual clay bar, but it's not a useless product either. Used with a dual-action and multiple microfiber bonnets it can clean very effectively without inflicting damage (I only use this method before a moderate-heavy polishing).

I do not like the actual ice clay bar much as far as performance and it costs way too much. It's also the only clay bar that's caused hazing for me.

CrownKote
05-31-2011, 08:03 AM
wow that red paint lasting on a dodge ram is amazing of itself and you make it look better than new is something i thought was not possible

Fully agreed!

Looks very nice; impressive work on a vehicle like that? How many miles are on it? I don't see any corrosion anywhere!

As far as ICE Liquid Clay;
I use the ice liquid clay as a pre-treatment scrub compound before moving to clay bar for very dirty areas like lower fenders and rockers. I believe TW has discontinued it and it can be found very cheaply so I've stocked up. It's not a great product only because it is never going to give you a freshly-clayed finish in less work/time than an actual clay bar, but it's not a useless product either. Used with a dual-action and multiple microfiber bonnets it can clean very effectively without inflicting damage (I only use this method before a moderate-heavy polishing).

I do not like the actual ice clay bar much as far as performance and it costs way too much. It's also the only clay bar that's caused hazing for me.

Thanks for this!

Trevor
05-31-2011, 08:47 AM

Thanks!

Does red paint on dodge rams tend to corrode easily or something? There isn't any rust at all, but there are some numerous rock chip marks under the back tire area. I did notice the paint must be fairly soft as it polished down in fewer passes than I did on my Escape with a less abrasive combo.