PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys for headlight restoration?

Pages : [1] 2

gbk233
05-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking about doing some headlight restorations in my spare time. I don't want to buy a bunch of supplies upfront, so hopefully I can start out with the stuff I detail my car with.

This is what I have:

PC 7424 & Cordless drill
- Poorboys SSR1, SSR 2.5, PWS
- Duragloss 105 and 671
- LC pads (6.5" white,yellow,gray pads / 5.5" orange pads)
-upgrading to smaller pads eventually
- 1000/1500 grit wetsand paper
- Helmsman aerosol (buying this soon)

Is there anything else I really should have to do a proper resto? Is the DG 105/671 useful at all for headlights?

Are there any headlights that I should avoid trying to restore? (i.e. too expensive/risky to work with)

Nitro24
05-30-2011, 12:28 PM
For the amount you will spend on those accessories. You better off just buying a head light restoration kit.

gbk233
05-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I already own all of the Poorboys polishes and pads etc. Only thing I have to buy is the Helmsman aerosol spray to seal the headlights.

MDetail
05-30-2011, 01:25 PM
I have used PB to do a headlight restoration. For the worse off ones I used ssr3, but you should be able to get away with what you have. I don't know what duragloss is so I am going to suggest that you seal and wax the headlights just like you would painted panels. Also if you NEED to sand the headlights finish off with 3000 grit. Other than that you should be fine. In response to your question about staying away from certain headlights, most newer cars, cars with HIDs the headlamp portion is going to be very expensive, but you always want to be careful with every customers car (expensive or not)

gbk233
05-30-2011, 01:30 PM
most newer cars, cars with HIDs the headlamp portion is going to be very expensive, but you always want to be careful with every customers car (expensive or not)

I realize the "be careful" thing, but I was just curious if there are certain headlights that CAN'T be wetsanded etc or would adversely react to polishes or sealants.

CrownKote
05-30-2011, 02:11 PM
I realize the "be careful" thing, but I was just curious if there are certain headlights that CAN'T be wetsanded etc or would adversely react to polishes or sealants.

Be cautious of BMW headlights... they are soft plastic and just a bit too much heat can cause crows footing in the lens...

gbk233
05-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Be cautious of BMW headlights... they are soft plastic and just a bit too much heat can cause crows footing in the lens...

Is using my DA safer(less heat) to use than using a cordless drill?

CrownKote
05-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Is using my DA safer(less heat) to use than using a cordless drill?

I use the 3M system but have been doing it for a while... You just need to be careful that you keep the lens cool how ever you do them... I like to use water with the sanding side of things to keep the temps down...

The one mfg that's headlights are crap that I have delt a lot with is Land Rover... The only ones that use a plastic lens are the 03-04 Discoverys, Freelanders, LR3-4, and RR Sports... no matter what you do to get the "hazing" they still have a milky look after you are done... I would say steer clear of them...

gbk233
05-30-2011, 09:33 PM
You just need to be careful that you keep the lens cool how ever you do them

Does this mean I need to let the headlight lens cool in between polishing steps? (i.e. polish with SSR1....5 minute wait....polish with ssr2.5)

Is doing the headlight in the shade enough to keep the headlight cool or should I run a fan on the headlight as I polish?

CrownKote
05-31-2011, 07:40 AM
I would give them a few min between steps... that is always a safe bet... Shade is always a friend of hl restos too... don't use much pressure when doing them let the machine do the work with it's weight and you will be good...

CEE DOG
05-31-2011, 07:56 AM
I see no need for a dedicated headlight restoration kit. Having said that I've never used one so I could be wrong. I think headlight restoration is one of the very easiest and most rewarding items in detailing. I haven't used those PB polishes but I'm sure they will work fine. I always use M105 and sometimes 205.

CrownKote
05-31-2011, 08:00 AM
I see no need for a dedicated headlight restoration kit. Having said that I've never used one so I could be wrong. I think headlight restoration is one of the very easiest and most rewarding items in detailing. I haven't used those PB polishes but I'm sure they will work fine. I always use M105 and sometimes 205.

I do enough of them that money permitted it... there isn't necessarily a "need" but it helps with the number that I do... other methods do work great too!

gbk233
05-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Do most people wetsand by hand or by machine w/sanding discs? I'd like to be as efficient as I can be and keep each resto as short as possible.

Gurge
05-31-2011, 09:07 AM
I use poorboys SSR3 with a 4 inch wool pad on my PC. I'm usually pretty happy with the results (pending i take my time sanding - if needed).

I especially like the PB polish for headlight restorations as I'm mobile and working in the sun is sometimes a fact of life unfortunately.

Usually I finish with megs plastx and a polishing pad. However, i've used SSR1 to finish and got good results also.

SeaJay's
05-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Do most people wetsand by hand or by machine w/sanding discs? I'd like to be as efficient as I can be and keep each resto as short as possible.

I typically sand by hand. It takes a little bit longer, but enables me to get into the tiny spots that you can't get with a machine. I don't see the sense in using the machine, then going back by hand for the little corners.