PDA

View Full Version : Fabric convertible top cleaner - help

vdubbeet
05-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Purchased a '07 Beige New Beetle Convertible in November '10. Did some research on the forums here and decided the best cleaner for me to purchase was Prod 303 fabric convertible top cleaner. Used it today for the first time because temps are above 80 and no rain predicted for at least 48 hours. I have been itching to try it for months. Followed directions to the letter and am sadly disappointed. Perhaps I need to do the entire process again for the 3rd time? Should I try some other cleaner (OxiClean)? Raggtop cleaner? Attached is a photo of what's left of the dirt/grime. Seems to be black from where the top folds when opened. Quite possible the tops never been cleaned/treated since it was originally purchased in early '08. Look forward to your suggestions. http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j352/vdubbeet/?action=view&current=convertibletop.jpg

ScottB
05-30-2011, 09:36 AM
In general:

1. Spray the cleaner on roof and allow to dwell for a minute or two, then use a brush to agitate the surface and around wrinkles in the top. Then spray off well with water. You can do it again as wanted and desired.

2. For the protectant, allow the roof to fully and completely dry first. Apply thin even coats and allow to dry. I found that 2-3 coats are best and will offer six months or more protection.

vdubbeet
05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the advice. I should have written in my original post that I wet roof thoroughly, sprayed product a section at a time, scrubbed with soft, nylon bristle brush, let dwell for a minimum of 10 minutes, resprayed, rescrubbed, rinsed to no avail. Thanks again.

WEST SIDE
05-30-2011, 11:41 PM
The black maybe mildew from being stored with the top down when wet.The Harrtz company makes most convertible tops and they have a recommendation of using bleach along with the cleaner that I have done on my light tan convertible and it worked really well,make sure it dries completely before using the protectant.I have read that ARO(amazing roll off)works well too.

Ken

vdubbeet
05-31-2011, 03:59 AM
The black maybe mildew from being stored with the top down when wet.The Harrtz company makes most convertible tops and they have a recommendation of using bleach along with the cleaner that I have done on my light tan convertible and it worked really well,make sure it dries completely before using the protectant.I have read that ARO(amazing roll off)works well too.

Ken

Thanks, Ken. I just checked out Raggtop's info and will order some, try it without the bleach, if still the same, I'll try a second time with the bleach. I have the Prod 303 fabric protectant which I've used on my outdoor Sunbrella cushions and it works well. In about 6 months, I'll begin process again and use either Raggtop protectant or ARO. Thanks again.