PDA

View Full Version : candle wax removal!!

andym
05-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Hey guys,
I was helping out a friend transport some pretty big candles this weekend. We placed them in the cabin, on top of towels but they managed to move around. Now i got "candle wax" on some parts of my upholstery, parts of the vinyl on the door, and on the roof liner.
Any suggestions
thanks!

watson1000
05-30-2011, 08:32 AM
I would scrape off the most of it and then heat the rest up and try sucking it up with a vac or even try to blot it off when warm.

Glenn

master detailer
05-30-2011, 08:46 AM
put rag over it and use a iron to heat it up then the rag will wick it up for the most part

TLMitchell
05-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Hey guys,
I was helping out a friend transport some pretty big candles this weekend. We placed them in the cabin, on top of towels but they managed to move around. Now i got "candle wax" on some parts of my upholstery, parts of the vinyl on the door, and on the roof liner.

My most vexing experiences with candle wax involved melted wax on fabric and carpet around the home. For those applications I usually use an ice cube to make it brittle and scrape as much off as possible using a blunt-edged tool. I've used plastic razor blades and the back side of a butter knife with good results. Then melting and absorbing has worked best... I've used a clothes iron over a wash rag to soften and the rag absorbs the wax. Repeat as necessary with clean sections of the rag. Probably best to use a piece of throwaway terry cloth.

If an iron isn't practical for the places you need to clean someone with a steamer may need to be enlisted.

Products containing acetone will also remove wax but colorfastness of the material your working on may be an issue. Plus it's pretty stinky stuff and the smell lingers.

TL

jlb85
05-30-2011, 09:56 AM
I wonder if the 3M adhesive remover would be safe to use on fabrics... but I'm far from my supplies right now so I can't read the label...

jpegs13
05-30-2011, 10:11 AM
+1 with ice and plastic razor blade. Clean up the remaining residue with a hot rag and dab.

Flash Gordon
05-30-2011, 11:28 AM
+1 with ice and plastic razor blade. Clean up the remaining residue with a hot rag and dab.

+3 on ice. If you have an ice pak, lay it on top of the candle wax for about an hour, then it should pop right off in 1 piece (if your good)

A plastic putty knife will work if you have no plastic razors

jimmyjam
05-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Hey guys,
Any suggestions
thanks!

Are you sure that's all you were doing with the wax??? lol Im the MAN

Flash Gordon
05-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Are you sure that's all you were doing with the wax??? lol Im the MAN

I learned the freezing candle wax trick from this chick I dated. She was a total whack job, but was extremally attractive, so I held on as long as I could

Who ever knew all the things that can be done with candle wax :)

jimmyjam
05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
i learned the freezing candle wax trick from this chick i dated. She was a total whack job, but was extremally attractive, so i held on as long as i could

who ever knew all the things that can be done with candle wax :)

lmfao!!

andym
05-30-2011, 12:27 PM
You guys are great!! Thanks for the quick responses!.
For the amount of work im going to put into this cleaning job,I wish I had been doing something else with it LOL!!
My thoughts were somewhere along the same lines with the iron, and cloth. I'm actually thinking of using an iron with a brown paper bag. I vacuumed most of the fragments out, now im left with the messy stuff. I read somewhere that you can remove gum with the ice cube, but never wax, I guess the principle is the same. I also remember reading somewhere that WD40 could remove gum from carpets!! It was on one of those blogs "things that you can do with WD40". Now any recommendations on how to take care of the oil that might remain on the fabric after heating?
:dblthumb2:

Yenkofan
05-31-2011, 02:19 AM
I have used a damp washcloth and iron to remove candle wax out of carpet and it worked like a charm. I've also heard goo-gone will work.

BillE
05-31-2011, 06:40 AM
If you have a janitorial supply near by...give them a call. There really are products for wax/gum (and various other nastys) removal.

Bill