PDA

View Full Version : flat black stripes

rmagni
05-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Hello my wife has a DUB edition 2011 Mustang vert I have a 2011 Mustnag MCA coupe my wifes car has large flat black stripes running the length of the car, mine has flat black stripes on the side of the car I have not waxed them yet because I do not want white marks on the decals can anyone tell me how to preserve the stripes and if there is any wax that will not make white spots on the decals
Thanks
Robert

TLMitchell
05-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Hello my wife has a DUB edition 2011 Mustang vert I have a 2011 Mustnag MCA coupe my wifes car has large flat black stripes running the length of the car, mine has flat black stripes on the side of the car I have not waxed them yet because I do not want white marks on the decals can anyone tell me how to preserve the stripes and if there is any wax that will not make white spots on the decals

I know of no "wax" that won't leave visible residue on matte black graphics. I use #845IW on black trim and it doesn't stain where I don't want it but I don't know if I'd recommend it on matte black. If you're going to use a traditional "wax" or cleaner wax I'd tape off the graphics. Some cleaners or compounds will stain.

For restoration/enhancement you might try Meg's Gold Class Trim Detailer. Mike Phillips submitted an article some time ago on MOL where it was used to restore black louvers on a Boss Mustang, he may have reposted it here as well. Don't recall if they used it on the stripes though.

There's a couple of products made specifically for matte finish vehicles. Someone may pop up with the names as I'm unfamiliar with them. Regardless of what you try start with a small test spot in an inconspicuous place in case you don't get the results you want.

For protection you might try one of the Wipe On Walk Away clear sealants rather than wax. Ultima Paint Guard and Opti Seal come to mind, they may add a bit of unwanted shine if you want to keep the stripes "flat". Again, I have no experience using those products on matte finishes. This all assumes you want to treat or protect the graphics as well as the rest of the finish. Taping off the black will prevent staining and discoloration but if you do nothing to clean or protect them they'll fade and discolor over time.

TL

DaGonz
05-30-2011, 09:43 AM
I agree with TLMitchell.. get some 3M painters tape (blue) or automotive masking tape (green) and mask off the areas you do not wax on. A few minutes of taping saves hours of aggravation in rmoving wax whe you do not want it.

PS: you don't have to tape off the entir stripe... just the edges.

rwright
05-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Richy successfully applied Duragloss #501 Marine/RV Polish to matte black stripes on a Mustang without it staining them. This will clean and protect them for quite a while. Let me see if I can get him to post a pic.

richy
05-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks Richard. HERE (http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/show-shine/12972-wicked-mustang.htm) is the link to the job Richard is referring. The 501 (done by hand in this case) did an amazing job.

rmagni
05-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the help

rmagni
05-30-2011, 06:53 PM
I have some 303 aerospace protectant I bought for the vinyl top but was not sure if it would work has anyone used the 303 for matte decals?

01GreyStangGT
05-30-2011, 07:50 PM
I put Poorboy's Trim Restorer on and have also used Surf City Black Max on my GT/CS stripes. Seems to work OK. Anyone know if that's bad or good either way?