PDA

View Full Version : question on the 50/50 Urethane clearcoat for headlights

c.maskelony
05-28-2011, 04:16 AM
my question is the final step in headlight restoration 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and high gloss Urethane.
How do you get it to level out so there arent brush marks, do I use the Trizact pad again. any sugestions would be helpfull.
I will eventually use the opti-coat 2.0 but it's not in the budget right now for use on headlights

DBPR32
05-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm curious as well. I didn't have much luck getting a completely smooth application. I ended up stripping it off and just using a headlight sealant for now.

Mike Phillips
06-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I moved your post out of the Introduction Forum Group and into Detailing 101, you might get more attention to your thread this way...

:xyxthumbs:

DaHen
06-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Ya don't want to be using a brush when applying the urethane onto the headlight lens.

Instead use HotRod's method: "Then, take a blue 'scott' shop rag and fold it up into a 1 inch x 1 inch square. Then dip the rag into the mixture and wipe it on the headlight. Dont use too much or it might run, but start at the top of the light and work side to side."

If the lens is big enough, I use a two inch square. and get the shop rag saturated.

And thats it. don't use any Trizact pads afterwards. Let the urethane dry.

MDetail
06-04-2011, 09:48 AM
I wonder if you can apply extra coats of the urethane (obviously let coats dry in between) then wet sand and polish out, kind of like the bodyshop does with paint, clear, colorsand

DaHen
06-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I wonder if you can apply extra coats of the urethane (obviously let coats dry in between) then wet sand and polish out, kind of like the bodyshop does with paint, clear, colorsand

I are not a professional painter by any means. But, I don't see why not.
Be worth trying, nothing to loose. Ifin it don't work, sand it off and start over.

Mike Phillips
06-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I moved your post out of the Introduction Forum Group and into Detailing 101, you might get more attention to your thread this way...

:laughing:

Looks like it worked...

:dblthumb2: