PDA

View Full Version : Which LC CCS pad for Wolfgang TSR?

flyinion
05-27-2011, 05:21 PM
About to start my project on the parents 8 year old F150 tomorrow and I'm a bit confused on the directions for the TSR. It mentions starting with a light cutting pad, which sounds like the orange, and only stepping up to the cutting pad (which sounds like the yellow) if swirls are really bad. Later though it sounded like I should be starting with the white pad first. If I'm supposed to be using white pads I guess I'm gonna be stretching my pads.

I currently have 2 orange, 2 white, 2 gray, and 2 blue and I need white pads for the followup of the finishing glaze. I guess I could wash the white pads thoroughly after the TSR and dry them as well as I can before starting the finishing glaze? I can get away with one pad of each on my own car as long as I'm using Mike's "on the fly" pad cleaning technique but I'm not sure about a large truck and a 5.5" pad.

jjkacz
05-27-2011, 05:37 PM
You could use one pad for the TSR and one pad for the glaze. Just wash them half way and you should be fine. If you notice the product building up sooner wash the pad.

flyinion
05-27-2011, 05:39 PM
You could use one pad for the TSR and one pad for the glaze. Just wash them half way and you should be fine. If you notice the product building up sooner wash the pad.

Cool, I have no problem doing that, I just don't know if a slightly damp with water pad would affect things at all since there's no way to fully dry it after washing it if I need to use it immediately.

EDIT: after looking at the product website again I guess the real question is how do I as an amateur know if I'm looking at light swirls (aka white pad) or heavier swirls (aka orange or yellow pad)?

jjkacz
05-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Cool, I have no problem doing that, I just don't know if a slightly damp with water pad would affect things at all since there's no way to fully dry it after washing it if I need to use it immediately.

EDIT: after looking at the product website again I guess the real question is how do I as an amateur know if I'm looking at light swirls (aka white pad) or heavier swirls (aka orange or yellow pad)?

After washing and drying the pad with a towel the best I can, I put back on the polisher and spin it up to 6 while holding it in a trash can to avoid splatter. It dryer it really well!

You will have to do a test spot with the lightest pad first and see what works removing the swirls. Step up to a more aggressive pad if it isn't removing the swirls. Once you find the right combo you are good to go. Every car will be different.

ScubaCougr
05-27-2011, 06:27 PM
It mentions starting with a light cutting pad, which sounds like the orange, and only stepping up to the cutting pad (which sounds like the yellow) if swirls are really bad.

Test spot. TSR is a great product. I'd do a first test spot with the TSR and a white pad. Between the two products you might be able to get good results without stepping up to the orange pad.

flyinion
05-27-2011, 06:27 PM
After washing and drying the pad with a towel the best I can, I put back on the polisher and spin it up to 6 while holding it in a trash can to avoid splatter. It dryer it really well!

You will have to do a test spot with the lightest pad first and see what works removing the swirls. Step up to a more aggressive pad if it isn't removing the swirls. Once you find the right combo you are good to go. Every car will be different.

Thanks, yeah I've done the spin it on the polisher before and it does get most but not all out (maybe I didn't do it long enough lol), but if I use the white pad first, realize it's not enough, and clean/"dry" it then by the time I get to the finishing glaze it's probably going to be pretty dry anyway if I set it out in the sun. I have a feeling that with the combination of fine "wind" scratches/swirls and water spots I've seen on the paint that I'll need the orange pad in the end anyway.

Like you say though I just won't know until I try it first. My current impression of the paint condition is also tainted by the fact that I've only been able to look at it dirty (not caked or anything just a good layer of dust/pollen). So of course I'll have a much better idea once I wash it.

flyinion
05-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Test spot. TSR is a great product. I'd do a first test spot with the TSR and a white pad. Between the two products you might be able to get good results without stepping up to the orange pad.

Yes definitely planning on a test spot. Should I test both the TSR and the FG before deciding? Or just test the TSR and decide from those results if I'm good or not?

ScubaCougr
05-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Yes definitely planning on a test spot. Should I test both the TSR and the FG before deciding? Or just test the TSR and decide from those results if I'm good or not?

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

There's no harm in trying just to understand it's capabilities (I would just for giggles), but on an 8 year old car I would bet you'll need the extra bite in TSR, especially if you're starting with a white pad.

flyinion
05-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

There's no harm in trying just to understand it's capabilities (I would just for giggles), but on an 8 year old car I would bet you'll need the extra bite in TSR, especially if you're starting with a white pad.

Oh I think you misunderstood. I'm 99.5% sure it needs the TSR. What I was asking was should I do TSR + FG before deciding whether or not TSR with the white pad instead of orange is good enough, or should I make that call after just doing the TSR only? It almost sounded like your last post was saying to do both first.........

Between the two products you might be able to get good results without stepping up to the orange pad.

ScubaCougr
05-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Oh I think you misunderstood. I'm 99.5% sure it needs the TSR. What I was asking was should I do TSR + FG before deciding whether or not TSR with the white pad instead of orange is good enough, or should I make that call after just doing the TSR only? It almost sounded like your last post was saying to do both first.........

Take the swirls out with TSR. FG is basically a polish, not a swirl remover.

flyinion
05-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Ok confusion is gone again, I'm all set lol. Thanks again. Unfortunately I've had to push the detail day back to Sunday. There is a slight chance of showers tomorrow evening. I don't want to leave the truck sitting in their driveway with just TSR and FG done, but if I put the DGPS on and it rains, I'm just going to have to go put DGPS on it yet again. Weather is clear Sunday on though.