PDA

View Full Version : Car Pro Iron X or Iron X Soap Gel?

Pages : [1] 2

CEE DOG
05-27-2011, 10:23 AM
What is your opinion? Car Pro Iron X or Iron X Soap Gel? Thought a discussion of the pros/cons of each would be helpful. Is the Gel as potent as the other type?

WRAPT C5Z06
05-27-2011, 10:30 AM
I went through this same dilemma. I went with the soap gel. As long as you let it dwell for a bit, it should remove a lot of the iron. Whatever is left should be removed by claying. Iron X spray is stronger, but I'd rather do one step instead of having to wash the car, then use Iron-X spray. Keep in mind, my thought process is for detailing other cars, not just mine. If it's just for your car, go with the Iron-X spray.

Devo242
05-27-2011, 10:34 AM
I've found the soap gel to be much less potent than the spray which corresponds with the less offensive smell. The spray seems more useful as for a full decontamination where buildup is moderate to heavy, the soap gel I find useful as a maintenance product as follow up in subsequent washes. A little soap goes a long way too, which is nice.

I have photos I took a few months back after the harsh winter subsided here in SE PA, my white daily driver received IronX soap gel on all surfaces, then I followed up on the more abused areas lower panels and rear deck lid/bumper with the spray. The 'bleeding' was much more significant with the spray than the gel. I haven't had any luck posting pictures in the past, if someone wants to post them for me or walk me through what I'm doing wrong I'd be happy to share if there is interest.

EDIT: added the mention of spray in the beginning of second sentence.

CEE DOG
05-27-2011, 10:35 AM
I went through this same dilemma. I went with the soap gel. As long as you let it dwell for a bit, it should remove a lot of the iron. Whatever is left should be removed by claying. Iron X spray is stronger, but I'd rather do one step instead of having to wash the car, then use Iron-X spray. Keep in mind, my thought process is for detailing other cars, not just mine. If it's just for your car, go with the Iron-X spray.

Thanks Mark! I think I remember that thread. This is for cars other than my own in this case. I had the same thought as you about saving a step but on the directions in the AG store it didn't say to use it the way a soap is used...Instead spraying it on a sponge...

I've found the soap gel to be much less potent than the spray which corresponds with the less offensive smell. The seems more useful as for a full decontamination where buildup is moderate to heavy, the soap gel I find useful as a maintenance product as follow up in subsequent washes. A little soap goes a long way too, which is nice.

I have photos I took a few months back after the harsh winter subsided here in SE PA, my white daily driver received IronX soap gel on all surfaces, then I followed up on the more abused areas lower panels and rear deck lid/bumper with the spray. The 'bleeding' was much more significant with the spray than the gel. I haven't had any luck posting pictures in the past, if someone wants to post them for me or walk me through what I'm doing wrong I'd be happy to share if there is interest.

Excellent feedback!!! Thank you! Have you gotten any on chrome? What do you do to avoid doing so? Do you tape all the chrome off?

WRAPT C5Z06
05-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks Mark! I think I remember that thread. This is for cars other than my own in this case. I had the same thought as you about saving a step but on the directions in the AG store it didn't say to use it the way a soap is used...Instead spraying it on a sponge...

Yep, you just put it on a sponge and go to work(the soap). With the spray, you spray directly on the paint. I'm sure you know this. There's no doubt the spray is stronger. I guess it comes down to how much time you want to take. :xyxthumbs:

Avi@CarPro
05-28-2011, 03:18 AM
Corey
its very simple, the IronX is dedicated iron remover , very strong. and react fast.
the SoapGel is a car shampoo +iron remover in it mixed.
means while you washing your car you remove irons as well, its less powerful though.
ironx is great for thoroughly de-contamination work.
while ironX soap gel is more as maintenance work, but still very powerful too..
use it as wheel cleaner , without water or sponge , just very small in a cup, 10ml, use detailing brush to rub all the wheel, let it react 5 min , and rinse off.
the soap gel can be great as snow foam as well, spray on all over and let it work for 5 min...there is a guy in the UK who tried it with very good results..
you can see here his thread :

CarPro Iron X Soap Gel - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210067&highlight=ironx+soap+gel)

hope this help...

james_death
05-28-2011, 04:53 AM
Avi the link to the post is fine but the images have been removed....:(

OP i see as many the Iron-X Soap as a maintenance product once you have got on top of the contamination with the stronger solution.

That said the soap goes a long way and since your washing anyway the fact that you can diminish the iron contamination at the same time is a winner for me.

Great idea as Avi says for a wheel cleaner especially when most stuff on the wheel is brake dust...:xyxthumbs:

CEE DOG
05-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Corey
its very simple, the IronX is dedicated iron remover , very strong. and react fast.
the SoapGel is a car shampoo +iron remover in it mixed.
means while you washing your car you remove irons as well, its less powerful though.
ironx is great for thoroughly de-contamination work.
while ironX soap gel is more as maintenance work, but still very powerful too..
use it as wheel cleaner , without water or sponge , just very small in a cup, 10ml, use detailing brush to rub all the wheel, let it react 5 min , and rinse off.
the soap gel can be great as snow foam as well, spray on all over and let it work for 5 min...there is a guy in the UK who tried it with very good results..
you can see here his thread :

CarPro Iron X Soap Gel - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210067&highlight=ironx+soap+gel)

hope this help...

Thank you Avi.

It seems the ironx is what I need more of and I placed my order but I'm curious... If the soap is used as a foam is there no concern that you will hurt the chrome and metal parts of the vehicle?

IID
05-28-2011, 09:57 AM
the soap gel can be great as snow foam as well, spray on all over and let it work for 5 min...hope this help...

To all that will consider using the soap gel with a pressure washer/foam lance,keep in mind that some parts of the lance are made with metal/iron parts (as mentioned in the thread on DW).

Devo242
05-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Excellent feedback!!! Thank you! Have you gotten any on chrome? What do you do to avoid doing so? Do you tape all the chrome off?

I do not have any experience with the product on chrome surfaces, but the product description on the AG store cautions to avoid these surfaces. My route would be to avoid this product entirely on any car with chrome and stick with clay.

"Note: Iron X should not be used on chrome, bare metal parts, brake calipers, wheel balancing weights, or SMART paint repairs. Mask off these areas. Avoid letting Iron X dry on any surface."

CEE DOG
05-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I do not have any experience with the product on chrome surfaces, but the product description on the AG store cautions to avoid these surfaces. My route would be to avoid this product entirely on any car with chrome and stick with clay.

"Note: Iron X should not be used on chrome, bare metal parts, brake calipers, wheel balancing weights, or SMART paint repairs. Mask off these areas. Avoid letting Iron X dry on any surface."

Thank you, I saw this and know Avi has commented on it in the past. My plan was to tape the chrome off when using the ironx Your advice may be best to avoid areas near chrome completely
but Avis post about the foam gun makes me curios how you avoid getting it on brake pads, balancing weights, chrome, etc. Certainly you can't mask it all off safe from the spray of a foam gun.

Devo242
05-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Thank you, I saw this and know Avi has commented on it in the past. My plan was to tape the chrome off when using the ironx Your advice may be best to avoid areas near chrome completely
but Avis post about the foam gun makes me curios how you avoid getting it on brake pads, balancing weights, chrome, etc. Certainly you can't mask it all off safe from the spray of a foam gun.

As an experiment I sprayed this product on unused wheel weights, it quickly turned them green. I was able to wash it off, but this combined with a caution for avoiding use on unpainted calipers is enough for me to avoid IronX on wheels. I reach for a dedicated wheel cleaner and carefully spray on calipers so I can clean those as well rather than worry about masking them off.

james_death
05-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Had no issues with Iron-X on the wheel weights just cleaned them no corrosion issues and no issues on chrome here either.

As mentioned i would have concerns about Iron-X through a washer but if rinsed well after hope there would be no issues...:xyxthumbs:

Avi@CarPro
05-28-2011, 11:00 AM

AG store caution is NOT updated! , i hope Dwayne will handle this..
ironx or IXSG are safe on chrome panels or trims,
you can also let it dry on surface if you want , but not dry under sun light!
wheels balance's are made from lead , ironx could change there colors, but good rinsing and some agitating will bring the color back.
calipers depend on the paint they used... normally there wont be any problem, if the calipers were re-painted with after market acrylic paint it can affect that paint..thats why we ask to be more care near the calipers..
the soap gel wont do any harm to any calipers since its less strong.

sohail99
05-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Yup! no issues on chrome!

I've used ironX on my chrome emblems and badges!! it was the only cleaner that was able to clean up between them!! :xyxthumbs: