PDA

View Full Version : Question about taping off a vehicle

Pages : [1] 2

natewood70
05-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Mike the Master Phillips and all Autogeekers,

I do a lot of cars for the West Palm Beach Scikotic's (National Scion based car club) when they are getting ready to go up for shows that are all over the state. A lot of them go crazy with taping off their car's for drives to the show, and I do notice some dulling in the paint when they take off the tape. Is this because it is stripping LSP or is it just the residue left behind? They are using standard blue painters tape as shown here:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l169/natewood70/tapetapetape.jpg

I have no problem with going with them to shows and wiping down any bugs or road debri markings, but when I am not around they go to these extremes to protect what I have shined up for them.

Do you think it would be better if they used the specific auto tape, or if they just left it alone and wiped the grime and bugs off when they got up there?

Any insight would be great. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this!

Midnight1700
05-27-2011, 09:45 AM
This is crazy! I've been around cars shows for a long time and this is the first time I've ever this. With the cost of tape, it would be much cheaper to rent an enclosed trailer and trailer the car to the show. Not to mention all the extra work that would be required to remove the tape and then get the car ready for show. This is a joke, Right?

natewood70
05-27-2011, 09:48 AM
This is crazy! I've been around cars shows for a long time and this is the first time I've ever this. With the cost of tape, it would be much cheaper to rent an enclosed trailer and trailer the car to the show. Not to mention all the extra work that would be required to remove the tape and then get the car ready for show. This is a joke, Right?

I wish it were a joke... this is one of 4 cars that did it a few weeks ago... for a 180 mile road trip up to Orlando FL

maluminas
05-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Silly person... They forgot to tape off the grills, windshield and headlights!

James K
05-27-2011, 10:10 AM
That is ridiculous. I am guilty of taping my front bumper and leading edge of my hood on occasion for the 700 mile trips I make a lot, but that is excessive.

I always wipe down after with Aquawax and have no problem. I do notice that the tape does play hell on the LSP at times. However it does keep down rock chips and love bug damage.

dad07
05-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Holy OCD!

thats just crazy!

Nate you need to educate these guys how to spruce it up after the trip!

master detailer
05-27-2011, 10:12 AM
lol I own MASTER DETAILERS IN CAPE CORAL FL love bugs are the thing but dam. if its that big if a thing to them then they shoud shrink wrap it. But if it was me I would putwax on the front end of the car and dont take it off till you get there.

natewood70
05-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone!

The conclusion I am then drawing is: TAPE = Damage to LSP...that's what I kind of figured, but just wanted to make sure... assuming always comes back around and kicks me in the ass!

MaximumMD
05-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I know griots garage has a film that is temporary for driving kinda like a clear bra but really thin more like clear wrap you use for left over food. Maybe check it out

Crazy Amos
05-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Wow.

V3AutoDetailing
05-27-2011, 12:43 PM
:bash:

FUNX650
05-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Wow.

:iagree: :wow:

Yes! You need to re-educate these clients.

http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/re_education_camp.jpg

:D

Bob

natewood70
05-27-2011, 02:07 PM
So the conclusion is.... DON'T TAPE OVER LSP....right?

dad07
05-27-2011, 02:41 PM
I think you got it! :props:

DaGonz
05-27-2011, 02:51 PM
:bash:

:iagree:Times 10!