PDA

View Full Version : Megs damf compound won't wipe off.

ShaunD
05-26-2011, 10:30 PM
I just got the megs damf system a couple days ago and started using it on a 2000 jeep grand cherokee and the compound won't wipe off like the video shows. I used pad conditioner and even tried it rite after washing the pad w/ the universal pad washer and the compound still dried after 4-6 passes. It's been pretty humid here so it's not like the air is drying it out. And, yes, I am priming the pad. I am using a 1st gen PC 7424 and have tried it on the 4 and 5 settings with no better results. I have to scrub to remove the stuff or spray it with some pad conditioner, QD, or Opti-clean(which seems to work the best). I even trying going back over the compounding residue with fresh product and a few light passes and not easier to remove. Am I doing something wrong or maybe got a bad batch of the compound:dunno:?
Once I get the residue off it leaves a swirl free finish, but leave compounding haze almost like a rotary would. The finishing wax cleans up the compounding and leaves a nice finish, but I planned on sealing this vehicle so I don't know if using it as a 2nd step is even worthwhile. I am not falling in love with this system.:(

James K
05-26-2011, 10:48 PM
That is very strange. I have left the compound on the car for twenty minutes before and not had a problem wiping off.

dougaross
05-26-2011, 10:51 PM
I just got the megs damf system a couple days ago and started using it on a 2000 jeep grand cherokee and the compound won't wipe off like the video shows. I used pad conditioner and even tried it rite after washing the pad w/ the universal pad washer and the compound still dried after 4-6 passes. It's been pretty humid here so it's not like the air is drying it out. And, yes, I am priming the pad. I am using a 1st gen PC 7424 and have tried it on the 4 and 5 settings with no better results. I have to scrub to remove the stuff or spray it with some pad conditioner, QD, or Opti-clean(which seems to work the best). I even trying going back over the compounding residue with fresh product and a few light passes and not easier to remove. Am I doing something wrong or maybe got a bad batch of the compound:dunno:?
Once I get the residue off it leaves a swirl free finish, but leave compounding haze almost like a rotary would. The finishing wax cleans up the compounding and leaves a nice finish, but I planned on sealing this vehicle so I don't know if using it as a 2nd step is even worthwhile. I am not falling in love with this system.:(

I am not sure what you are doing. I have a old PC which I set to 4 and this is my process.

You want to get good coverage(prime) before you polish any section. So, add a good amount of product, then put the polisher against the paint, turn it on for a few seconds, turn off. Blow out the pad, then check coverage. Do this process until you get good coverage. Once you have good coverage, blow out the pad, then add 2 pea sized drops and go to work. Work a 2'x2' section. Go moderate pressure first few section passes and then ease up on last few.Then, blow out the pad after every section (or every other section), add 2 large pea sized drops and go to work again. Repeat the process(not priming) until you finish the car. If you can't blow out use bug sponge or pad brush.

You can always use 205 instead of D301 for 2nd step
I want to credit people who contributed to this process but I can't recall names

embolism
05-26-2011, 11:46 PM
are you working on hot panels or in the sun?

ShaunD
05-27-2011, 09:09 AM
I thought I was priming it well enough but maybe I didn't. Most recently, before posting this thread, I primed the pad worked the panel. Then I added a few drops of compound to the pad and lightly worked the panel to see if this would help the compound wipe off, to no avail. I am giving up on it for know as the vehicle I am working on needs a three stage polish, then sealant/wax, so I will try the MF system again ASAP on my own vehicle. Thanks for the help guys and I will update soon.
BTW, the vehicle is being worked on in my garage which is probably in the range of 74-83 degrees, so I hope those temps aren't what is causing the probably because I don't see running the A/C to keep it any lower than that.
What about a spritzing the pad with water or QD?

dougaross
05-27-2011, 09:40 AM
I thought I was priming it well enough but maybe I didn't. Most recently, before posting this thread, I primed the pad worked the panel. Then I added a few drops of compound to the pad and lightly worked the panel to see if this would help the compound wipe off, to no avail. I am giving up on it for know as the vehicle I am working on needs a three stage polish, then sealant/wax, so I will try the MF system again ASAP on my own vehicle. Thanks for the help guys and I will update soon.
BTW, the vehicle is being worked on in my garage which is probably in the range of 74-83 degrees, so I hope those temps aren't what is causing the probably because I don't see running the A/C to keep it any lower than that.
What about a spritzing the pad with water or QD?
From your description, you are working too large an area(panel) with too little product. See my process above.

ShaunD
06-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Recently tried out the damf system on my 2001 S10 and had much better results. I think I primed the pad better and didn't work it until it completely hazed over this time. I applied ample amount of the compound and spread it over the section with a light section pass, then I applied a few dots of compound to the pad and did my 2-3 moderate passes followed by 2-3 light passes. The compound wiped cleaned like most other compounds and polishes but not as easy as a wowo wax. The one thing I have to say about the system though, is that regardless of how hard the compound can be to remove it never leaves swirls. But, it does leave a compounding haze like I used a rotary tool on the section. I assume this is due to the product drying before the section was worked properly. It is easily removed with a couple light passes with new product on a cleaned pad, or by just going over the section with the finishing wax. Will try the system again on the Jeep I first attempted it on and see if my new priming technique allows for easier wipe off. :)

Shane731
06-08-2011, 09:16 PM
You may find this article helpful: Using Meguiar's D/A Microfiber Correction System - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47855). It is rather long, so it might take a minute to load.