PDA

View Full Version : Pricing / Customer Crossroads.

ExpressDetail
05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Ok guys and gals so I have encountered a few dilemmas.

About 3 years ago I picked up a Dr's and his wife vehicles. On the initial consultation/detail he asked me "So if we continue a schedule with you will we receive a discount etc?" I told him of course. He drives a QX45 (big suv) I have been charging him $65.00 for our wash package every 4 weeks. Every time I go to his office he ask how much? This has been going on for months. Than after a scheduled wash he ask me as always " How Much" I answered him and then his posture changes and he says " Brandon you can not keep doing this " In my head I am like :dig:great now I am gonna loose a great customer. But after what seemed like eternity he starts up again " You cant keep coming out here washing my car for $65.00, For the job you are doing you need to charge more" Now I am like in shock complete 180. So now I dont even know what to say. Than I ask him so what do you think it is worth he says " I would be more than willing to pay $85.00 for a wash when you come out " So than he says "do not undercut yourself , or your work if people do not want to pay it . than do not do there cars" . That was about 2 years ago.

But I get calls all the time of customers that never call back or since my prices are on website now they just check it than dont call. I am kinda at a crossroads of what to do. We did a Ferrari a few weeks ago and same thing I told they guy the price and he said "No way" and he jacked the price up $100 more than what was said.

So now what do I do. We want the regular customers as they help pay the bills etc. SO any suggestions would be great. I tried doing 2 separate pricing charts 1 with higher end products for those that want them than regular for those on a budget.Should I just remove prices or what. Consistency is usually key but at this point :bash: So any pointer ideas guys?????

Y2KSVT
05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't detail for a living, so this is only my opinion. It sounds like you may be offering a lot with your $65 wash service. Is there anything you can cut out for your run of the mill automobiles? The guy driving a '99 Cavalier isn't going to pay $65 for a hand wash when the local drive-thru car wash is $10 and "makes their car shiny." I think you can do one of two things: Offer a lower wash package that doesn't include some of the options you offer in the $65 package to draw in people who don't want to pay $65, or you can jack your prices up a little bit and market your entire business towards higher-end vehicles. You could even do both and have an $85 wash for the QX4 and Ferrari owners, and then a $30 package for the Cavalier drivers.

Once again, this is only my opinion based on what you've explained.

Mark

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-26-2011, 12:59 PM
It seems the two customers you referenced, know what quality is, and what it's worth. I too get a lot of people who see my prices and say $55 for a car wash...! I say if all you want is a car wash, take $5, and go to any local drive-thru car wash and call me when you're finished.

I then go on to explain how I'm so much more than just a car wash and the quality is second to none. I sell myself.

And if all they're looking for is a wash, I'll sell them a $20 hand wash.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-26-2011, 01:00 PM
i don't detail for a living, so this is only my opinion. It sounds like you may be offering a lot with your $65 wash service. Is there anything you can cut out for your run of the mill automobiles? The guy driving a '99 cavalier isn't going to pay $65 for a hand wash when the local drive-thru car wash is $10 and "makes their car shiny." i think you can do one of two things: Offer a lower wash package that doesn't include some of the options you offer in the $65 package to draw in people who don't want to pay $65, or you can jack your prices up a little bit and market your entire business towards higher-end vehicles. You could even do both and have an $85 wash for the qx4 and ferrari owners, and then a $30 package for the cavalier drivers.

Once again, this is only my opinion based on what you've explained.

Mark

bingo!

ExpressDetail
05-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the response guys. The only thing I have about the $30 wash that is it really worth it? If you break it down it just does not seem worth it. From time involved, gas and products you are making less than minimum wage. Also big problem I run into is different peoples conceptions of a detail. You sell them a wash and they expect carpet extraction , stain removal , seats scrubbed . Hell I had a lady have us remove the spare tire , put up the power antenna (to clean it). Than when I told her the price would be more she threw a FIT! lol. I have no problem cleaning every square inch dont get me wrong but purchase what you want and thats what you get.

OCDetails
05-26-2011, 01:10 PM
My regulars get a discount. It is the difference between charging $80/hr to $60/hr, so that is a pretty decent savings. Instead of the full detail costing them $240 it will only cost them $180. I let them know they are getting a discount and not to tell people what they are getting. If they tell their friends I only charge them $180 and then I show up asking $240, then it causes problems. So let them know you are giving them an 'off the price sheet' type discount and it is unique for them. I throw them a freebie every now and then if they are good with referrals too. You need to keep your regulars happy or they start shopping around.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the response guys. The only thing I have about the $30 wash that is it really worth it? If you break it down it just does not seem worth it. From time involved, gas and products you are making less than minimum wage. Also big problem I run into is different peoples conceptions of a detail. You sell them a wash and they expect carpet extraction , stain removal , seats scrubbed . Hell I had a lady have us remove the spare tire , put up the power antenna (to clean it). Than when I told her the price would be more she threw a FIT! lol. I have no problem cleaning every square inch dont get me wrong but purchase what you want and thats what you get.

Before ANY detail, I always perform a consultation, if you will. I ask qualifying questions, go over any concerns the client may have, evaluate the paint and interior and from there we agree on a package. I lay out EVERYTHING I plan to do to the vehicle so the customer knows that if I didn't clean his antenna, it's because we didn't agree to it. I also have an engagement form I use so I get paid.

Flash Gordon
05-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Ok guys and gals so I have encountered a few dilemmas.

About 3 years ago I picked up a Dr's and his wife vehicles. On the initial consultation/detail he asked me "So if we continue a schedule with you will we receive a discount etc?" I told him of course. He drives a QX45 (big suv) I have been charging him $65.00 for our wash package every 4 weeks. Every time I go to his office he ask how much? This has been going on for months. Than after a scheduled wash he ask me as always " How Much" I answered him and then his posture changes and he says " Brandon you can not keep doing this " In my head I am like :dig:great now I am gonna loose a great customer. But after what seemed like eternity he starts up again " You cant keep coming out here washing my car for $65.00, For the job you are doing you need to charge more" Now I am like in shock complete 180. So now I dont even know what to say. Than I ask him so what do you think it is worth he says " I would be more than willing to pay $85.00 for a wash when you come out " So than he says "do not undercut yourself , or your work if people do not want to pay it . than do not do there cars" . That was about 2 years ago.

Sounds like they like you :kiss: I would offer other services to them. Tell them you can do other things besides detail cars :idea:

I would rather only have a handful of customers like this, that I actually enjoy working for, then 1,000 used cars off a lot, with some duck, constantly trying to find ways to jam me :help:

The question is, how cheap can you live until you aquire enough customers like this one :dunno:

But I get calls all the time of customers that never call back or since my prices are on website now they just check it than dont call. I am kinda at a crossroads of what to do. We did a Ferrari a few weeks ago and same thing I told they guy the price and he said "No way" and he jacked the price up $100 more than what was said.

Just try to keep pluggin away :dig: When you do find those "jewel" customers, tell them how greatful you are for their business. You can even explain to them some of the crap you have to put up with from others. I know of one instance in my case, where I was telling a customer how cheap this one guy was and how he frequently would like to change appointment times at the last minute, and then when you did track him down, he never had his checkbbok :doh: Turns out these two grew up together. My customers still jokes with me about this guy to this day

And no, I told Mr El Cheapo to kick bricks long ago :argue:

So now what do I do. We want the regular customers as they help pay the bills etc. SO any suggestions would be great. I tried doing 2 separate pricing charts 1 with higher end products for those that want them than regular for those on a budget.Should I just remove prices or what. Consistency is usually key but at this point :bash: So any pointer ideas guys?????

You just gotta do whata you gotta do. Eventually you will meet the right ppl

Flash ;)

SeaJay's
05-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I went back and forth with my prices all of last year. I was all over the board. Then I actually sat down and figure out how long it takes me to do certain things. Put a price on it and came up with my pricing. I have stuck to it all this year and I still get the "really that's all". And I'm not charging $65....more like $165+ for each detail. I explain everything that I do in my details and I have a cheaper package that if they want I can do. It's only $85 or so, and they get what they pay for.

I have yet to have a customer actually want my baseline package. I also did some calling around and strolling the web to see what others in my area are charging. I fall right about in the middle and it seems to be working for me. I have yet have a customer actually complain that I'm too expensive.

I do get a lot of calls for pricing and a lot of people never call back. It's all part of the job.

ExpressDetail
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Haha thanks for the humor and feedback Flash. Maybe your extra services is why they call you "Flash" haha.

I feel the same as you I would rather have a handful of great customers than a hundred negotiators. With that being said I am working on a few things. When I have the details pounded out and land the right customer bases I will be sure to share it with everyone on here.

Local competition is somewhat killing the market here as well. I am sure most of you face the same problems. guys offering wash,clay,wax,shampoo oil change and dog grooming for $75.00.

I also have a customer kinda like what you are saying a guy that used another detailer before me. He has a Hennessey camaro and always calls last minute(landing me in dog house on a few occasions). Like Fathers day because coke was doused all over it or kid spilled milk in it etc always something last minute. (starting to wonder why old guy is not around)

WindyCity
05-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Don't get upset because you can't book every customer that calls. People will always price shop and people will always call to ask about details with no intentions of using your services. Hell even I call detail shops to see how they sell their services and to price check my prices to make sure
I am competive, and to see if I can sell myself better. I use it as a tool for me to improve my business.

It is all a part of running a business in a service industry

My booking rate is around 1 detail for every 8 calls!

ScubaCougr
05-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Helpful little tidbit, Windy. Thanks.
Only 6 more calls and maybe I can make money this weekend!

WindyCity
05-26-2011, 06:00 PM
helpful little tidbit, windy. Thanks.
Only 6 more calls and maybe i can make money this weekend!

lol

ExpressDetail
05-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Don't get upset because you can't book every customer that calls. People will always price shop and people will always call to ask about details with no intentions of using your services. Hell even I call detail shops to see how they sell their services and to price check my prices to make sure
I am competive, and to see if I can sell myself better. I use it as a tool for me to improve my business.

It is all a part of running a business in a service industry

I guess you could say upset but not upset if that makes sense. I am just so involved and personal with it. I am very competitive and passionate about everything I do and mixing my passion which is cars with it just makes it that much worse. Thanks for the info and pointers :dblthumb2: