PDA

View Full Version : Mel Craig......

Pages : [1] 2

Flash Gordon
05-26-2011, 09:46 AM
I like this guy :props:

WindyCity
05-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I met him at the mobile tech expo 2 years ago and agree with you!

tw33k2514
05-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I love his podcast

Flash Gordon
05-26-2011, 08:28 PM
I met him at the mobile tech expo 2 years ago and agree with you!

I love his podcast

You two are aware he is posting regulary and accepting questions now @ Autopia Forums, Right?

Rsurfer
05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
You two are aware he is posting regulary and accepting questions now @ Autopia Forums, Right?
Who is Mel Craig??

Flash Gordon
05-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Who is Mel Craig??

Auto Detailing | Car Detailing Business | Auto Detail Training (http://www.thetotalpros.com)

Flash Gordon
06-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Helluva post there Mel :eek:

tw33k2514
06-04-2011, 02:45 PM
That is awesome!

TLMitchell
06-06-2011, 06:23 AM

IMO, it looks like he's doling out generic information in an effort to soft-sell his training. Good stuff but smells just a wee bit self-serving. But maybe that's just me.

TL

Crazy Amos
06-06-2011, 08:25 AM
I like Mel and his podcast but I sometimes get tired of hearing about the training aspect of it over and over again.

Someone should create a podcast that is all about detailing and nothing else.

I think it should include tips, tricks, product reviews etc. That would be awesome.

Flannigan
06-06-2011, 08:46 AM
IMO, it looks like he's doling out generic information in an effort to soft-sell his training. Good stuff but smells just a wee bit self-serving. But maybe that's just me.

TL
It's not just you, I agree totally. Honestly I think most of the training schools are a bit unneeded. I'm sorry but there is nothing you can't learn by getting the tool and practicing yourself, and reading up on these forums. 20 years ago, when there wasn't the constant flow of information from the internet, these school or classes may have been worth it, but now you have GREAT detailers online willing to give out their knowledge to the community for free.

Yeah I wouldn't grab a rotary and just start detailing a customer’s car, but if you have some time to practice and research I think you can save the money that these classes cost and set yourself up with some great tools and products.

Again, not really downing the schools since I'm sure it helps some people, but IMO if you are willing to put in the practice and research you can do just as well on your own.

off my soapbox now...lol

silverfox
06-06-2011, 08:56 AM
I understand where he is coming from. Its a fact that most small businesses fail for a variety of reasons. You can have the best equipment, location, and products...but they don't mean a thing frankly if you don't take care of business first, which means starting with a detailed 5/10 year business plan. Would you take a vacation to some place you've never been without a plan (hotels, maps, etc)..?..yet many folks think that watching some videos, putting an ad in the paper, printing some business cards, and buying some chemicals is all you need to start a business.

Yes, its good to have hands-on experience detailing cars, or to attend detail classes, etc....but if you don't know how to start a business, or have a plan, or be able to get the proper licenses and insurance, then you may likely end up being a failed statistic.

Frankly, if I knew NOTHING about detailing...and wanted to start my own business...I'd learn the business end FIRST, then worry about what pad to use. We talk a lot on here about products, products, products...and more products, techniques, etc....but only a few articles by Mike address the business side. Its a start, but you need to know how a successful business is made ...and its NOT an accident when it does.

Flannigan
06-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I agree you have to have a great business plan, and stick to it. However, just like learning to detail, there are TONS of FREE sources to find information on starting your own business. When I started mine I did a bunch of research for my state, county, and federal laws and what kind of licenses and insurance I needed. In the end it cost me a few hours in research and $100 for a state business license. So I was able to save a good deal of money that I could reinvest into my business.

I guess my point is that most people don't need to pay for a class like this, however the people giving the classes act like you aren't going to be able to master the art of detailing if you don't take their class. Just my .02

Flash Gordon
06-06-2011, 12:05 PM

TL

On his latest post where he ended it by saying "look forward to seeing you in my classes" kinda made me feel like maybe he is posting more to help himself, more then to help others

It would also be alot more creditable to me if he would give out the names of the detailing business's that he says he sold for millions of dollars. Without giving the names, are we just suppose to take his word on this? Maybe Mel doesn't realize ppl tend to stretch the truth a bit on the internet

He does seem like he would be a great life coach/motivational speaker. I look forward to seeing how this all hashes out

Flash

TLMitchell
06-06-2011, 01:56 PM
He does seem like he would be a great life coach/motivational speaker.

I'm not much on motivational speakers. They remind me of evangelists that pump up the audience with their 1000-watt smile and enthusiasm and the pump-jobs don't last unless regularly reapplied. I'd rather see someone teach how to cultivate self-motivation through goal setting techniques along with methods to measure progress. Seeing you're getting down the road to where you want to be is the best and most lasting motivator, IMO.

TL