PDA

View Full Version : hard/soft paint

bk2nrml
05-26-2011, 08:25 AM
ive seen, in various threads, the mention of hard paint and soft paint. im assuming that its selfdescribed as to what it is but how do i know what kind is on my vehicles ?

james_death
05-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Not set in stone different manufacturers get a different rep especially in different countries, for instance in the uk VAG paint ( vw audi group ) tends to be hard, ford medium and asian soft.

However this should never be taken for granted as i have read posts for the states that rate the german paint soft.

Always always start with the least cut in both pad and compound on a test section and work up until you find a level of cut that achieves what you want.

A Paint Gauge is recommended.

Midnight1700
05-26-2011, 08:54 AM
It would sure be nice to find a chart on the hardness of various paints. Not only by manufacturer, but by model would be great!

james_death
05-26-2011, 08:57 AM
It would sure be nice to find a chart on the hardness of various paints. Not only by manufacturer, but by model would be great!

The thing is the resin's for the lacquer can change week to week you never know exactly what you will find you can have an idea but no guarantee...

UK-Matt
05-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Theres a detailing company in the UK one thats highly regarded and they have this on their site, just list manufacturers and i bet some on the list wont mean anything to you as you guys don't have them in the states, so they'll be makes that you have that we don't so wont be on there.

Not sure how useful it will be to you.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pdfs/painthardness.pdf

james_death
05-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Theres a detailing company in the UK one thats highly regarded and they have this on their site, just list manufacturers and i bet some on the list wont mean anything to you as you guys don't have them in the states, so they'll be makes that you have that we don't so wont be on there.

Not sure how useful it will be to you.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pdfs/painthardness.pdf

I thought it would be bliss....:laughing:

The thing is states have BMW as Soft....

Welcome fellow Donny Dude.

BillE
05-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Cool chart!

But, it shows that Subaru (prior to 2001) as 'hard.' Maybe, but not any I've seen over here. They all seem to be a soft as a babies toosh...they do finish down realllly nice though.

Just my observation...thanx again for the chart!

Bill

loudog2
05-27-2011, 07:20 AM
I agree with the chart that toyota paint is soft. My black Highlander swirls if I whisper at it.