PDA

View Full Version : Rinse Bucket - Distilled Water? (ONR)

MatthewM
05-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Hey all,

I hope this is in the right section (my first post aside from the introduction thread).

Assuming you are using a 2 bucket method, when using products like ONR what type of water do you use for the wash and rinse buckets?

I have heard that you should use soft water, some that say you should use distilled water, and some that say it doesn't matter because ONR will soften water on its own.

Second question, assuming that you should use distilled water for the wash bucket, do you also need distilled water for the rinse bucket or would it be safe to use hard/soft water?

Thanks! =D
(hope this doesn't seem to silly)

Chris Thomas
05-26-2011, 12:39 AM
I use RO or distilled to mix dilutable chemicals, but not for wash water. ONR acts as a softener, so if you have hard water just use more ONR. The only benefit during a wash would be at the rinse stage (no water spots), an by choosing the rinseless approach you eliminate the need.

Ladyvalea
05-26-2011, 01:55 AM
what is ONR? RO?

tianh
05-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Stupid question but... how do you guys get distilled water? Is it something obvious I am missing -____-

james_death
05-26-2011, 03:08 AM
I use RO or distilled to mix dilutable chemicals, but not for wash water. ONR acts as a softener, so if you have hard water just use more ONR. The only benefit during a wash would be at the rinse stage (no water spots), an by choosing the rinseless approach you eliminate the need.

I Second what the head honcho says....:xyxthumbs:

I actually only use one bucket of our tap water and thats very very hard coming from bore holes.

The distilled water is used to dilute the QD's etc...

ONR Stands for Optimum No Rinse... as the name suggests there is no need to rinse you simply wipe the dirt off and dry the little spots of water left behind...:xyxthumbs:

The Distilled water we get in the uk from a supermaket or hardware store as de-ionised water as you would put in a Iron to eliminate limescale...:xyxthumbs:

james_death
05-26-2011, 03:09 AM
Here is my UK winter ONR test...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/35969-onr-uk-winter-test.html

Munich77
05-26-2011, 05:40 AM
what is ONR? RO?

Welcome aboard - ONR = Optimum No Rinse

RO - reverse osmosis water.

HeavyMetal
05-26-2011, 06:40 AM
If you have a dehumidifier, just save the water and use that. Functionally the same as distilled or RO in that it contains no minerals. And it's free. You can't beat free.

SeaJay's
05-26-2011, 06:55 AM
I Second what the head honcho says....:xyxthumbs:

I actually only use one bucket of our tap water and thats very very hard coming from bore holes.

The distilled water is used to dilute the QD's etc...

ONR Stands for Optimum No Rinse... as the name suggests there is no need to rinse you simply wipe the dirt off and dry the little spots of water left behind...:xyxthumbs:

The Distilled water we get in the uk from a supermaket or hardware store as de-ionised water as you would put in a Iron to eliminate limescale...:xyxthumbs:

Answered your questions...and in the US you can buy gallons of distilled water at your local supermarket or CVS, Walgreens, etc.

MatthewM
05-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all of the responses.

Glad to see most people agree on the use of distilled water. It's kind of expensive IMO.

Luckily the water that I have at my house is very soft.

maximus20895
05-26-2011, 06:10 PM
I can get it for .37 a gallon at walmart.

MatthewM
05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
The cheapest we have it is 0.87.

It's not really horrible, but if you had to buy a lot of it....

maximus20895
05-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I have a 5 gallon tank that I use and drink out of it constantly, it's in my room and really convenient.

What I use to dilute chemicals is water from the refrigerator. It has a filter that I buy maybe 3 times a year. I recently diluted it with IPA and sprayed the solution on my sister's chrome grill and let it dry. There was not one spot :props: