PDA

View Full Version : My plan of attack

DMiller
05-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey all,

My name is Andrew and I'm here to confess. I've had a black 2008 VW Jetta for the past few years, and while I love the car, I haven't treated it as well as I should have. Mechanically I've kept up with all scheduled services, etc, but not so with the cleaning. I've recently seen the light and I'm here to atone! Can you help me along my path to redemption?

Im the MAN
haha, sorry, I just didn't want this thread to be the same old same old! Basically, my car has seen 3-years of being a daily driver, no garage keeping, and it's in desperate need of a detailing. It's got swirls galore, but no real RIDS that I've noticed. (That could change after a good washing...) It's also got a few dime-sized paint transfer/door ding spots on the sides due to all the careless people who insist on parking next to me! Other than that, I think the paint's probably in decent shape.

I've done oodles of reading on here, and feel pretty confident about what needs to be done to correct the issues. I plan to take advantage of the Memorial Day sales to snag a Griot's Garage 6" DA and all the accouterments to make my car really shine.

Here's my plan of attack:
1. Wash (2 bucket and all the swirl-free precautions)
2. Iron-X
3. Mother's Clay bar
4. Menzerna SIP (PO83)
5. Menzerna Nano (PO106 FA)
6. Klasse AIO
7. Klasse HGSG
8. P21S Concours

My main question is: do you think this product lineup is appropriate? I've no experience, so all input is welcomed. I chose Menzerna and Klasse mainly because they're both German products and I figure they should work well on a hard German paint, lol. I've read that with a black paint SIP will need to be followed by a finishing polish - can I skip the Nano and go straight to AIO/HGSG or would I achieve a deeper gloss using Nano as well?

Two additional items of note: I live, and park, within eye-shot of the Pacific; some days within a couple hundred yards. Also, within the next few months I'll be out of country for about 6 weeks and my car will be outdoors and stagnant for the duration. I'm hoping that using the Klasse twins with a wax on top should offer slightly increased protection from the elements. Is this correct? Would it be better off using Collonite 845 versus P21S - the feedback online seems to indicate that it's super durable.

Also, from what I've read online 5.5" pads seem to be preferred over 6.5" - at least for PCs...with the GG DA would it be more beneficial to use 5.5" as well?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for taking your time to help me atone for my sins! ;)

Perfections
05-25-2011, 11:27 PM
1-5 seem great and while klasse is a good product I prefer collinite 845 on my customers cars, one step and your done for 6 months, and about the pads, 5.5 inch is my preferred but the gg will spin a 6.5 with no problems if you don't want to buy another Bp