PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to..

tianh
05-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Is it safe to have two buckets filled with cold water and Megs APC and every time I am done doing paintwork or washing cars throw my MF towels in there and let it soak till whenever I have enough to wash? That could be a couple of days to a week. Should I buy a lid to put on top?

If it is safe, should I be using APC+ for this or APC, I only have the regular one, albeit I feel like I made a huge mistake not buying the APC+ :(

Is it safe to use distilled white vinegar, EVERY time I wash my MF towels?

Is it safe to use M105 on the whole car, not buff anything off, go over the whole car again with m205 then buff? Or section by section?

Thanks guys :)

Shawn T.
05-25-2011, 08:38 PM
I see nothing wrong with it. I used to leave my microfibers in a dawn solution for a week at a time before I washed them.

To the second, no. Remove M105 after each section.

tianh
05-26-2011, 02:47 AM
I see nothing wrong with it. I used to leave my microfibers in a dawn solution for a week at a time before I washed them.

To the second, no. Remove M105 after each section.

Thanks so much Shawn!

So you just soak them with Dawn liquid soap? Sounds very cost effective I may give it a try.

A4 1.8tqm
05-26-2011, 06:15 AM
I don't think it's a problem, I've done exactly that with APC+ and both DP MF & pad cleaners. You could just use more Microfibers so there is enough to run a small load sooner. You probably shouldn't leave polishing pads soaking for a week though.

Don't worry about the APC vs APC+ too much, the + is just non foaming for use with extractors and has an orange scent.

james_death
05-26-2011, 08:46 AM
White vinegar solution is a good idea, i chuck them in a bucket till i have enough for a load.
I dont have anything in the bucket but may in the future...:laughing:

Flash Gordon
05-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Is it safe to use M105 on the whole car, not buff anything off, go over the whole car again with m205 then buff? Or section by section?

Thanks guys :)

I'm confused?

Are you asking if it is ok to apply 105 (but not remove) and then apply 205 on top of it?

Flash :help:

rwright
05-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm confused?

Are you asking if it is ok to apply 105 (but not remove) and then apply 205 on top of it?

Yeah, you know - layering. :poke:

Flash Gordon
05-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Yeah, you know - layering. :poke:

You guys and your fancy techniques :buffing:

tianh
05-27-2011, 02:52 AM
I'm confused?

exactly! layer the 205 on top then buff off the m105 and m205 at the same time.. seems like the consensus is no because of the crazy drying of m105?

maximus20895
05-27-2011, 03:10 AM
Remove the 105.

Reasons:

It's a pain to wipe off after its been drying for a awhile.

You don't know the true condition of the paint so you are essentially blind buffing.

The dried on 105 could alter the effectiveness of the 205 as well as contaminate your pad

ride5150
05-27-2011, 10:45 AM
i use oxiclean for my MF towels in the washer, im sure you could put a scoop in a bucket and throw your towels in and let them soak.

A4 1.8tqm
05-27-2011, 04:44 PM
exactly! layer the 205 on top then buff off the m105 and m205 at the same time.. seems like the consensus is no because of the crazy drying of m105?

This train of thought leads me to believe that you don't truly understand what an "abrasive polish" is or what is happening when you use the product.

A polish is not just "applied" or spread on the surface, left on for awhile, then removed (like a wax is). A polish is abrasive (like sand paper), you work to polish on the surface over time, essentially scratching the paint. You then use a finer polish to make finer scratches in the paint, refining the surface until the scratches are no longer visible to the naked eye. It is not just "applying" a polish but rather "working" it, if you will, that does the job. The residue from a compound will compromise the finer polish, you don't want the "aggressive" compound abrasives to be present on the paint or polishing pad surface when using a finer polish. It's a little different with Meg's SMAT technology though, but that's the gist of it.

Leaving the residue from a compound on the paint surface and then polishing over it with a finer polish is just a flat out bad idea all around.

tianh
05-28-2011, 10:08 AM
This train of thought leads me to believe that you don't truly understand what an "abrasive polish" is or what is happening when you use the product.

A polish is not just "applied" or spread on the surface, left on for awhile, then removed (like a wax is). A polish is abrasive (like sand paper), you work to polish on the surface over time, essentially scratching the paint. You then use a finer polish to make finer scratches in the paint, refining the surface until the scratches are no longer visible to the naked eye. It is not just "applying" a polish but rather "working" it, if you will, that does the job. The residue from a compound will compromise the finer polish, you don't want the "aggressive" compound abrasives to be present on the paint or polishing pad surface when using a finer polish. It's a little different with Meg's SMAT technology though, but that's the gist of it.

Leaving the residue from a compound on the paint surface and then polishing over it with a finer polish is just a flat out bad idea all around.

Never thought of it like that, great explanation and thanks for the info!

Old Tiger
05-28-2011, 10:44 AM
White vinegar solution is a good idea, i chuck them in a bucket till i have enough for a load.
I dont have anything in the bucket but may in the future...:laughing:
I would want to put dirtys in a ventilated container so they wont mildew or sour. I also wouldnt soak pads in anything for a week. I would fear breakdown of the adhesive between velcro and foam. Just my $.02!