01-10-2007, 08:55 PM
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif

Surfer
01-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Guessing he learned how "friendly" a rotary is?:D

badblzr2
01-10-2007, 08:57 PM
My bad, got sidetracked.

Allow me to explain.. the above pic is the after. The before was a nice, uniformly painted bumper. Cause: me and this:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/badblzr2/DSCN0258.jpg

Not even a rotary... just me and a PC.

I was attempting to remove some particularly stubborn residue/sap/ I don't know what. It was hard as a rock. Aggressive clay, wd40, aio, fp2... couldn't touch it. Out came the edge orange and the OC. And this is the result. I guess I should be excited, I got the reside off, but... I seem to be in need of some paint work now. This was last week.... its taken me this long to come to terms with what I've done.

To answer quesitons perhaps before they come in... the pad was level on the top of the bumper, about 15-20 lbs of pressure (normal for me, never any problems before). I noticed the residue start to come off, and then took a few more passes, and on the las tone, noticed that there was white/gray under the pad instead of shiny black. Picked up the machine, looked at the pad and smelled burning foam. The foam apparently got depressed (I don't know how with the amount of pressure I had on there) to the adapter which burned it, and then the plate in the middle took off some paint. At least, this is the best I can I figure out.

So... I'm thinking nice little mix of user error, perhaps a defective pad, and some bad luck. The pad was as pliable as a mf applicator when I went about inspecting it after the mishap (after breaking a lot of stuff around the garage)....

I'm not saying don't buy edge.. I'm not saying edge makes bad products. I'm saying be carefull with edge pads around corners.

I'm here to help you learn by making the costly mistakes for you, so you don't have to.

Surfer
01-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Ehhhh that picture makes it even more confusing, what exactly happened?

Truls
01-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Ai, must be with a Rotary.?

badblzr2
01-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I took a while with that edit, explanation below picture of pad. Sorry for the delay.

Note: my car, not a "client", ie. family/friend's car.

abrcrombe
01-10-2007, 09:09 PM
He said he was using the PC. Is that spot not painted anymore because the residue removed paint when it came off? Is it a new residue left by the "accident"?

badblzr2
01-10-2007, 09:14 PM
PM^.

For all.. the spot is the bumper.. fiberglass or whatever its made out of. There is no new residue, just a lack of paint now.

alban61
01-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Could it also have been the residue/sap had kinda bonded (for lack of a better word) with the paint, and when it was removed, it took the paint with it?
That happened to me when I removed some stubborn yellow road paint off the side of my SUV. There were a few spots where the yellow paint came off with some of the SUV paint, but not as bad as what happened to you. Sorry to see that, badblzr2.

badblzr2
01-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't think so, the residue was much smaller in area.... about a 1/5 inch line about 4 inches long... you'll see the missing paint is about 2/6

Surfer
01-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Being a bumper that was your mistake. Painted bumpers have very thin coats of paint, their generally not setup like paint layers on the body with clear. A PC and even a polishing pad can burn through bumper paint, let along a cutting pad and compound with 20lbs of pressure like you did.

Our Lincoln, Lexus and Mercury truck have painted bumpers and I usually just use AIO and PC with a very soft 4" blue pad. But I use almost no pressure and don't really work it, just quick cleaning and coat of AIO.

Nuke33
01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Man that sucks:(