PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Marble

mcpp66
05-25-2011, 01:28 PM
I've seen threads about people using detailing equipment and polishes on home appliances. Has anyone used the Porter Cable or any other buffer on marble? If so, what pad and compound did you use.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
05-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Yup PP and a polishing/finishing pad (Depending how bad) via Flex but I'm sure that that PC would work the same :buffing:

FUNX650
05-25-2011, 04:29 PM
I've seen threads about people using detailing equipment and polishes on home appliances. Has anyone used the Porter Cable or any other buffer on marble? If so, what pad and compound did you use.

-What kind of marble is this? [Natural or Cultured]

-Where is this marble located? [Kitchen, bathroom, flooring, etc.]

-What "flaws" are you trying to correct? [scratches, stains, etc.]

Sorry, OP, I know this doesn't provide a solution to your question. Products, equipment, processes can be dependent on answers to the above inquiries.

mcpp66
05-25-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't know, a guy I work with asked me what I thought and I'm just passing it along to the board.

mcpp66
05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Yup PP and a polishing/finishing pad (Depending how bad) via Flex but I'm sure that that PC would work the same :buffing:

Okay, what's PP? And no sarcastic replies people :bat:

james_death
05-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Its wax that is put on marble to get that lovely finish by machine, however some can be a plain marble rough texture and very porous some are agglomerate just fragments stuck together some are heavily polished.

Other than a a buff up marble should not need much maintenance infact a buff should be the most it needs as just soapy water is used unless its porous and then you do not use much.

I used to cut and polish marble to make fireplaces and hearths.

Dr Oldz
05-25-2011, 06:42 PM

HAHA!!! Poorboys Pro Polish

Rsurfer
05-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Thought it was Purple Power, but I guess Chris would not be recommending that. :laughing:

FUNX650
05-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Its wax that is put on marble to get that lovely finish by machine, however some can be a plain marble rough texture and very porous some are agglomerate just fragments stuck together some are heavily polished.

Other than a a buff up marble should not need much maintenance infact a buff should be the most it needs as just soapy water is used unless its porous and then you do not use much.

I used to cut and polish marble to make fireplaces and hearths.

Was this natural or cultured marble that you cut and polished?

If natural marble: Do you know if the eventual owner was advised to use a stone sealer on it; and, if not sealed properly (and on a regular timetable), what items would stain (some permanently) or, for better lack of terms, seep into the porous marble? True natural marble requires lots of maintenence/care. I know the appeal natural marble has, but there are other choices I would make. Cultured marble (doesn't need sealed like natural marble and is more resistant to staining), or granite (very heat resistant) comes to mind.

IMO...Perhaps the OP should obtain more info from the guy he works with (type of marble, manufacturer/supplier, is there a 'how to take care' manual) so a better plan of attack could be implemented.

Just a few well intended thoughts. :)

Bob

james_death
05-26-2011, 03:23 AM
We always polished to a very high shine, if the marble had pitting we would reject it or fill them if we could match the pattern.

The Stone was always sealed and advised on maintenance.

We had stone, slate all marbles.

I was not a fan of the stuck together marble that we called agglomerate i always loved the purity of the big natural sheets.

I returned to my old employer when we moved to our latest home and purchased a big natural sand stone Fireplace oh boy thats kid glove stuff as canot have any liquid on it or instant stain...:laughing:

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
05-26-2011, 09:54 AM

:laughing:

:cheers:

Thought it was Purple Power, but I guess Chris would not be recommending that. :laughing:

:rolleyes::D

nothelle
05-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Did kitchen top marble with G110v2 + Megs D151 to get rid off bad waterspots...

No luck, but marble top was shiny as it can be.....