PDA

View Full Version : DA Polishers which one to get?

spitshine1
05-25-2011, 09:53 AM
I am considering the Megiurs DA and also the Poter cable.
Which is the stronger unti?

WHick one is more reilable?

Can i change different size backplates on this machine.
I.E. 6 inch- 4 inch - 5 1/2 ?
Thanks everyone have a good day!

ScubaCougr
05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Yes you can change backplates on any of the 3 machines. Lots of threads including this recent one for advice.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/36084-what-should-i-get.html

The Griots which you didn't mention is often cited as the most powerful. Mike Phillips says the PC XP is the most reliable
The Meguiars is just back in stock after a very long absence. Not much info on the latest iteration. All 3 are generally considered very able machines, and capable of removing some serious swirling with appropriate pads and compounds for the situation.

You might hold out and see if there is one on a Memorial Day sale like last year (IIRC) and buy on price.

HeavyMetal
05-25-2011, 11:31 AM
I'd stick with Griot's or PC. Meg's had some quality issues reported on several forums. The Griots' is a bit more powerful and like SC said, the PC has a bit better build quality.

BTW ScubaCougar, my indian name is "Trips Runner, Steals Beer" :-).

Y'all have a great day, I'm outta here to play some golf....

daves120
05-25-2011, 11:50 AM
I have the new Griot's and it is more powerful than the previous one. I have never used the other ones and cannot speak about them. However, since adding the Flex 3401 to my arsenal, the Griot's is not used near as much now.

jhallhall
05-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I went with the griots and do not regret it one bit, in a couple months i am going to buy a flex and dedicate my griots to 4 inch pads

tw33k2514
05-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I've only used the PC 7424XP, but it has been nothing but perfect for me thus far. I do wish they sold a loop handle. But I may end up just making one.

Jeff120
05-25-2011, 12:55 PM
GG also has a lifetime warranty, that is what sold me on it.

Mike Phillips
05-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Can i change different size backplates on this machine.
I.E. 6 inch- 4 inch - 5 1/2 ?
Thanks everyone have a good day!

Yes.

You can change backing plates on all the current models you've asked about and we carry.

From my article list...

New to Machine Polishing?

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html)

New - Video: How to pick the right polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/25695-show-car-garage-video-how-pick-right-polisher.html)

:buffing:

Mike Phillips
05-25-2011, 01:29 PM
However, since adding the Flex 3401 to my arsenal, the Griot's is not used near as much now.

I went with the griots and do not regret it one bit, in a couple months i am going to buy a flex and dedicate my griots to 4 inch pads

Both those comments are along the lines of the first paragraph I wrote in this article,

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html)

This is just a general guide to help you choose the right polisher for your detailing needs.

Power Tools are to guys like shoes are to women, you can never have too many.

So perhaps don't limit yourself to just one category of tool, instead put yourself on a path that will eventually include at least one tool from each category. Every 6 months or once a year reward yourself with a shopping spree and add another polisher to your arsenal of detailing tools.

:dblthumb2:

bodavenport
05-26-2011, 07:24 AM
I have the GG machine and had the PC before that, I am very very happy with my GG and have not looked back