PDA

View Full Version : Door Jambs

Pages : [1] 2

wallaby-dan
05-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi,

I'm new so please don't flame me. I have a nice clean car but the winter anti-rust treatment has left grease in the door jambs. Any ideas how to remove it as I can't get in there with a sponge.

Thanks

CEE DOG
05-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Firstly, welcome to AG!!

If you have a picture that will help but maybe one of these two brushes after spraying an APC.

Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush, auto detail brush, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, Corvette brush, Mercedes brush, sport wheel brush, (http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html)

Daytona Speed Master Jr. Wheel Brush, wheel cleaning brush, detail brush, cleaning brush, mini detailing brush (http://www.autogeek.net/daytona-mini-wheel-brush.html)

Daytona Speed Master Two Brush Combo, wheel brushes, detailing brush, auto detail brush (http://www.autogeek.net/daytona-speed-master-brushes.html)

SeaJay's
05-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Firstly, welcome to AG!!

If you have a picture that will help but maybe one of these two brushes after spraying an APC.

Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush, auto detail brush, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, Corvette brush, Mercedes brush, sport wheel brush, (http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html)

Daytona Speed Master Jr. Wheel Brush, wheel cleaning brush, detail brush, cleaning brush, mini detailing brush (http://www.autogeek.net/daytona-mini-wheel-brush.html)

Daytona Speed Master Two Brush Combo, wheel brushes, detailing brush, auto detail brush (http://www.autogeek.net/daytona-speed-master-brushes.html)

:iagree: Or you can use some degreaser if the APC (all purpose cleaner) doesn't work.

Oh and Welcome!

James K
05-24-2011, 11:55 AM
I use either Zep Citrus degreasers diluted 4:1 or DP Rinseless Wash to clean door jams. The Zep works better for grease though. That with some microfiber towels and depending on where the grease is a parts washer brush, tooth brush, or a wheel brush and you should be good to go.

Pics would help though.

And welcome to Autogeek!

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi,

I'm new so please don't flame me. I have a nice clean car but the winter anti-rust treatment has left grease in the door jambs. Any ideas how to remove it as I can't get in there with a sponge.

Thanks

If I may ask... Where are you located?

Arnie36
05-24-2011, 02:07 PM
since its grease, if it wont go away with APC, go with a degreaser. something i also do is rinse the APC away with some ONR in a spray bottle diluted to clay lube mixture. its nice to see all the black muck that was broken down by the cleaner run off.

jsgntulok
05-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Along with the degreaser, try a cheap paint brush which should get into tight areas easier. Be sure to wrap tape around the metal on the brush to reduces the possibility of scratches.

Flash Gordon
05-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Crap, you mean I can't flame on the noob

J/K noob. Welcome from Memphis

C. Charles Hahn
05-24-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm new so please don't flame me.

I always find it curious why people feel the need to say that when making a post.... who cares if you're new or if you've been here 10 years, really?

I have a nice clean car but the winter anti-rust treatment has left grease in the door jambs. Any ideas how to remove it as I can't get in there with a sponge.

Thanks

Optimum Power Clean and a small boar's hair brush is what I would use.

If the OPC doesn't cut it, try a solvent like 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.

:props:

Old Tiger
05-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Welcome! You wont ever get flamed for asking a question here. iI have some foam swabs that I use and dispose of after use. Q Tips and brushes work well too!

wallaby-dan
05-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone! I will try some degreaser in a spray bottle and follow up with a handheld steamer.

I will post some before and after shots

Rayaz
05-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Optimum Power Clean and some brushes (tooth brush with soft brisels and a gentle hand) should take everything off. I used it 3:1 on my 85 Mercedes diesel that never had the hood open for anything but service and it looked new! Your going to have to put some form of protection any place this touches though because the wax/sealant will be gone.

Welcome by the way.

WEST SIDE
05-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Crap, you mean I can't flame on the noob

J/K noob. Welcome from Memphis

Thanks Flash I needed the laugh.

And also a welcome from HI.

BobbyG
05-25-2011, 07:29 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online!

Flaming; it's actually a great question!

Sometimes the rust proofing compounds can be a bit challenging to remove and when you think about it, it should be! :laughing:

Some paint thinner on a rag has always worked well for me then wash the entire area with all purpose cleaner...:props:

jlb85
05-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Door jambs are one of my specialties ;) And there are many ways to go at them. I learned from Kevin Brown to use Body Solvent for filthy jambs. This stuff cuts through grease and has a long dwell time. It gets hard to remove, though. I found FK1 #1119 does as good of a job, or better, and rinses much easier. Super Degreaser works for light dirtiness, but if you have some old caked on stuff it will require the heavy duty stuff.

3M Adhesive Remover works wonders, but expect to go through a can per jamb, so it gets expensive.

Process: I spray my product on a dry jamb. Use a brush (the 1" detail brush is my favorite), some old toothbrushes, etc. to agitate. Spray again, repeat. If the car is not too delicate, I will use the pressure washer to rinse off the product and blast away the grease. If you are careful enough you can keep almost all water from getting inside the car at full pressure (electric washer 1700 psi karcher with a fan tip). Nothing beats it! Once rinsed, I follow with more degreasers if needed, or a final cleaning with something like OPC or TAW, then another rinse. Blow dry the jamb, and get some spray wax in there, wipe off.

Search for some of our threads here, I'm not sure which one we have pics of us using the pressure washer right off the top of my head, but there should be a few.