PDA

View Full Version : How do you strap things down in an Astro van?

ShineTimeDetail
05-24-2011, 06:55 AM
So I'm going to be buying a 98 safari which is a passenger van. I was wondering how I will need to mount my generator, air compressor and other things down in the back. I plan on keeping ny trailer for my water supply bc I don't need water all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Flash Gordon
05-24-2011, 08:43 AM
So I'm going to be buying a 98 safari which is a passenger van. I was wondering how I will need to mount my generator, air compressor and other things down in the back. I plan on keeping ny trailer for my water supply bc I don't need water all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would use ratchet straps and fish eyes to secure the heavy stuff. Last thing you want is a 150lb flyin projectile should you be involved in an accident

The smaller stuff you could store in milk crates and use bungy ties to secure

ScubaCougr
05-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Last thing you want is a 150lb flyin projectile should you be involved in an accident

Consider too, a mesh panel between the front seats and the cargo area. Not only does it give you one more place to hang/secure stuff, it provides extra protection from flying bottles when you have to slam on the brakes.

These panels come pretty standard in 'work' type vans. Perhaps a salvage yard if you don't want to DIY.

ShineTimeDetail
05-24-2011, 12:19 PM
What will I anchor stuff to?

Flash Gordon
05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
What will I anchor stuff to?

There should be some beams running diagonally throughout the van. Get some heavy duty fish eyes (hooks) and run them through the metal

Tuscararo Dave has an Astro van. Maybe he will see this and give you some good ideas. I know that spare tire mounted ladder is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen