PDA

View Full Version : foam applicator and UTTG

jslym777
05-24-2011, 12:59 AM
so i used a yellow foam applicator to apply UTTG to some wheels. i let the foam applicator sit out overnight without washing it for use again... so i went to pick up the foam applicator and it basically just disintegrated in my hand.... haha has this happened to anyone else?!

Matt
05-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Nope... I haven't bothered cleaning the applicator I used to apply it to the wiper cowl or mud guard plastic as the applicator stayed clean during application. I've used that applicator a few times and it's been coated with UTTG for atleast several months now and is still going strong.

I do, however, store it wrapped in Glad wrap (cling wrap, cling film, saran wrap, etc) so it doesn't get all over anything else during storage.

When you say it disintegrated in your hand, did it break into pieces or become some sort of foam powder?

CEE DOG
05-24-2011, 06:30 AM
That is one of the stragest things I've heard. I would have never expected that.

HeavyMetal
05-24-2011, 06:56 AM
I have one that's getting pretty nasty with pieces missing. I think the cheap ones (I got a couple packs at Wally World) won't hold up to the solvent in UTTG.

jslym777
05-24-2011, 07:22 AM
haha yeah i picked it up and it just crumbled to pieces...

TLMitchell
05-24-2011, 11:32 AM
so i used a yellow foam applicator to apply UTTG to some wheels. i let the foam applicator sit out overnight without washing it for use again... so i went to pick up the foam applicator and it basically just disintegrated in my hand.... haha has this happened to anyone else?!

Weird. I've only used the included soft foam applicator that comes with UTTG+ with no problem. A little bulky but a nice applicator. It'd be nice if AG offered those applicators ala carte (hint, hint). Only place I've seen them available separately is direct from Ultima.

I've used MF applicators with UTTG+ with no problem. I rinse 'em out after use. All foam applicators aren't created equal. I've had some of the small yellow ones come apart but not disintegrate like yours did. OTOH, Meg's foam applicators are almost indestructable. :shrug:

TL

LegacyGT
05-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I have a yellow applicator that has been marinating for a few weeks, I'll see how it is holding up tonight.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-24-2011, 12:03 PM
My dedicated yellow foam DP Interior Protectant applicator has done that before, sealed in a zip top bag.

CEE DOG
05-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Weird. I've only used the included soft foam applicator that comes with UTTG+ with no problem. A little bulky but a nice applicator. It'd be nice if AG offered those applicators ala carte (hint, hint). Only place I've seen them available separately is direct from Ultima.

I've used MF applicators with UTTG+ with no problem. I rinse 'em out after use. All foam applicators aren't created equal. I've had some of the small yellow ones come apart but not disintegrate like yours did. OTOH, Meg's foam applicators are almost indestructable. :shrug:

TL

I agree and great idea!! I would really like a few more of these. I used my trim applicator on some not perfectly clean tires and got a bit of darkening on them so I need to buy another for trim. In fact if the price is right I would buy a few for sure.

lee1dew
05-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I've used UTTG on my trim a few times and have always used a small folded up piece of those blue paper shop towels (2" x 2" folded into 1" x 1") instead of an applicator. Cheap, disposable, and much easier to control than a foam applicator. No marring as far as I can tell.

Dr Oldz
05-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I keep mine in a Ziplock and it's already primed for next use. I never had it do that tho.

TLMitchell
05-24-2011, 11:33 PM
I've used UTTG on my trim a few times and have always used a small folded up piece of those blue paper shop towels (2" x 2" folded into 1" x 1") instead of an applicator. Cheap, disposable, and much easier to control than a foam applicator. No marring as far as I can tell.

I use those for getting into corners and small areas. Nothing beats the Ultima applicators for something large like a tonneau cover though. :xyxthumbs:

TL

WEST SIDE
05-25-2011, 12:09 AM
I keep mine in a Ziplock and it's already primed for next use. I never had it do that tho.

+1:xyxthumbs: