PDA

View Full Version : What is this and how do I fix it?

mforrister77
05-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Just noticed this a couple weeks ago on the drivers side door. I have know idea exactly what it is but I'm sure more than one person on here will. If it makes a difference the vehicle is a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Let me know what you guys think it is and how you would fix it. I'm guessing at this point its going to take a little bit more than just compound to fix it. Thanks in advance!

Garry Dean
05-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Just noticed this a couple weeks ago on the drivers side door. I have know idea exactly what it is but I'm sure more than one person on here will. If it makes a difference the vehicle is a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Let me know what you guys think it is and how you would fix it. I'm guessing at this point its going to take a little bit more than just compound to fix it. Thanks in advance!

It looks very deep into the clear. Its unfixable. My recommendation is to leave it alone.

Flash Gordon
05-23-2011, 08:22 PM
It looks very deep into the clear. Its unfixable. My recommendation is to leave it alone.

:iagree:

rwright
05-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Appears to be clear coat failure. As Garry and Flash mentioned, leave it alone or take it to a body shop and have a spot repair performed such as sanding/painting/clear coat.

Kristopher1129
05-23-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm with these guys. :dblthumb2:

Setec Astronomy
05-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Isn't that the Andromeda Strain? How big is that? Is it above or below the surface?

mforrister77
05-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Appears to be clear coat failure. As Garry and Flash mentioned, leave it alone or take it to a body shop and have a spot repair performed such as sanding/painting/clear coat.

Is clear coat failure because of some I did or didn't do? I have never had any of my other cars do this before. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again on other parts of the car?

mforrister77
05-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Isn't that the Andromeda Strain? How big is that? Is it above or below the surface?

It's probably about a 1/4" wide and its below the surface.

Flash Gordon
05-24-2011, 09:00 AM
It's probably about a 1/4" wide and its below the surface.

Thats a shame. Not many options other then respray the door

I do have one other though...

There is a lady around the corner from me. She drives a civic coupe. Right behind the drivers door (quarter panel) there is this hugh dent (pdr could easily repair) she has this gigantic band-aid across the dent. I always chuckle when I see this

So what I'm trying to say is, you could just slap a band-aid across that spot. Out of sight, out of mind

Flash :o

Marc08EX
05-24-2011, 09:28 AM

+1...

Honda's are known to have this problem esp the NHBP paint... It mainly comes from bird poop not being cleaned right away I think.

maximus20895
05-24-2011, 12:51 PM
I sure hope not! I have NHBP paint :(

Rei86
05-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I sure hope not! I have NHBP paint :(

Crows feet will be visiting you soon my friend....very soon:(

http://imgur.com/7KChn.jpg

maximus20895
05-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Wow, thanks..that made me feel better.

I got my car repainted so maybe not. I also take great care of my car.

Rei86
05-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah my friend had to ##### to Honda for about a month before they took his NHBP Civic Si in for a repaint. I hope for his sake the repaint doesn't fail on him either.

Bodedetailing
10-29-2012, 04:32 PM
I have actually seen this etching on a 2010 BMW 3 series. the owner asked for me to detail her car, and that is when i came across the etching on the hood of the car (the owner had not taken the best care of the car). I examined the spot closely and came to the conclusion that the spot had been created by a combination of bird poop and salty air due to living in south florida.
The only fix for this etching is repainting.