PDA

View Full Version : Pressure wash and blow dry before ONR?

Pages : [1] 2

lee1dew
05-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I've been experimenting with pressure washing before doing an ONR wash and have noticed that all of the water remaining on the paint after the pressure wash seems to dilute the ONR and reduce its cleaning ability. Would it make sense to take my leaf blower and quickly blow off most of the water before doing the ONR wash or would there be problems doing that as part of a pre-wash? As a bonus, this could reduce waterspotting from the pre-wash rinse.

maximus20895
05-22-2011, 03:07 PM
It would be better and more efficient to not use a leaf blower and just put more ONR in the bucket if you think the water is diluting it from pressure washing. The ONR will also soften the water after you pressure wash it as well as remove any spotting the dried on water leaves behind.

A4 1.8tqm
05-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Has your car been polished, sealed and/or waxed? Even with just a coat of wax, most of the water should fall right off the car. Adjust your technique so the last pass with the pressure washer helps push the majority of water off the surfaces, and/or, wax your car. Autoglym HD is still my favorite wax in terms of hydrophobic properties or water sheeting ability (and price).

Dr Oldz
05-22-2011, 05:59 PM
With all of that work to use ONR, wouldn't a traditional wash be easier?

Ron Atchison
05-22-2011, 06:12 PM
:iagree:

DARK HORSE
05-22-2011, 06:14 PM

:iagree:My thoughts exactly!!

Bunky
05-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Optimum does say you can use ONR just like a bucket wash.

A4 1.8tqm
05-22-2011, 06:22 PM

That's what I was thinking. I usually do a quick pressure rinse before pulling my car in the garage for an ONR wash (because it's likely rain/snow/windy/dusty etc. outside if I'm doing ONR).
I can't imagine, at the dilution ratio of ONR, that the little water left on the surface from a pre-rinse would have much effect on ONR's performance. Add like three eye dropper drops of ONR to your bucket to counter the "dilution" from leftover rinse water.

lee1dew
05-22-2011, 07:11 PM
I'll give a 1.5oz to 2 gal ONR/water ratio a try and see how it goes. Despite the extra effort, the advantage of ONR for me is that I don't have a shady area to wash my car, so being able to wash and dry a panel at a time is helpful.

Dr Oldz
05-22-2011, 07:57 PM
I'll give a 1.5oz to 2 gal ONR/water ratio a try and see how it goes. Despite the extra effort, the advantage of ONR for me is that I don't have a shady area to wash my car, so being able to wash and dry a panel at a time is helpful.

Gotcha. :xyxthumbs: You can also spray the panels to keep them wet during a wash until ready to dry as an alternative also.

Chris Thomas
05-22-2011, 08:28 PM
ONR is very versatile. You can use it as a rinseless or a traditional or a hybrid. If you have hard water and need more lubricity, just add a little more. Presoak, QD, In the garage, In the sun...basically any way you like it.

Kristopher1129
05-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Yes, yes it would, ha.

Although I do always have a mixed spray bottle of ONR on hand to do a little spray and wipe if any areas didn't dry clean.

But, to do a pressure wash and then an ONR wash doesn't really make sense to me.

lee1dew
05-23-2011, 02:19 AM
Gotcha. :xyxthumbs: You can also spray the panels to keep them wet during a wash until ready to dry as an alternative also.

I used to do that back when I did traditional washes, but on hot summer days, it would use up a huge amount of water. And running around trying to keep the car wet with a hose that constantly got caught on the tires was a pain. :)

james_death
05-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Not using a power washer is half the reason i use ONR, Onr speeds things up should not take longer.
Its very rare i get the power washer out and rare i even get the hose pipe out.

Dr Oldz
05-23-2011, 02:53 AM
I used to do that back when I did traditional washes, but on hot summer days, it would use up a huge amount of water. And running around trying to keep the car wet with a hose that constantly got caught on the tires was a pain. :)

Then perhaps wash early or late to avoid the direct rays of the sun!:xyxthumbs: