PDA

View Full Version : LT1 Engine Cleaning

ICECAR
05-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Weekend warrior needs help. Never cleaned an engine. Own

a '93 corvette. LT1 engine with the infamous starter. I've been told it dosen't like to get wet. Any suggestions Feed back please
Thanks.

loudog2
05-22-2011, 11:40 AM
cover it while cleaning and don't directly spray it.

Jaretr1
05-22-2011, 11:48 AM
It's not just the starter, its also the optispark distributor you need to worry about. Try to cover them both or just spot clean rather than dousing the entire engine.

XLNTShine
05-22-2011, 02:23 PM
The starter is a new one to me, but the optispark is what most people talk about. Try to keep from spraying water directly on the back of optispark distributor as its driven off the camshaft on this motor. The drive shaft has two orings that are supposed to keep out dust and water as well as a seal in the rear of the housing. Just place something over the distributor and you will be fine. There is a small weep hole in the bottom of the cap to allow moisture to drain out on the 93-94 units. The later units has a vacuum fitting that pulled air out of the unit to keep it dry. Good luck!! Show us some photos of the before and after!

jslym777
05-22-2011, 03:04 PM
i had a 94 trans am with the optispark that went bad. DONT GET IT WET!! your model isnt a vented part like the later models. its going to be hard to cover since its located directly under the water pump which is the whole design flaw. mine went bad as usual at around 90,000 miles and it was a nightmare haha. after that, i changed everything electrical in the car. it is about 800 or 900 dollar job at a dealer. Luckily, I've ripped this engine apart and was confident enough to change it myself.

jslym777
05-22-2011, 03:09 PM
heres a good picture of where its located. see the dulled yellowish piece thats located right under the water pump? yeah dont want that to go bad!!! just imagine having to replace that with the engine inside the engine bay...

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo31/KellyMadley/1993CorvetteLT-12.jpg

XLNTShine
05-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Don't scare the man! Of course do not hose it down with your pressure washer or hose pointed right on it, but don't be afraid of it either. I have changed at least 20 of these things over the years and I have even gotten pretty good and rebuilding them.

I have seen people drive through a car wash that had the under car rinse and have the car stall. Give it a few hours, go back, hit the key and all is good with the world. These units are not air tight, and with the constant hot and cold cycles they do get moisture inside. Just be careful and you will be fine!!

Also you can change these out in about an hour, on the vet you dint even have to remove the shroud!

ICECAR
05-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all the good info. I'm gonna give it a try in the next couple months. Any recommendations on a product to use. Again, thanks for the help. :thankyousign:

jslym777
05-22-2011, 03:56 PM
it doesnt matter if its a pressure washer or a small drip leaking onto the opti spark.... the water pump is a main reason so many of these go bad and this is just a small leak... just a bad design and remember this is the non vented opti in a 93. im not trying to keep you from doing it all im saying is be cautious in that general area of the engine bay.