PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new dash board for my Chevy Impala

Pages : [1] 2

mcpp66
05-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Anyone know where I can get a good aftermarket dash for my car? I'm searching online but I'm only finding dash covers.

C. Charles Hahn
05-21-2011, 08:03 PM
What model year?

mcpp66
05-22-2011, 01:32 AM
2007 Impala LT. Sorry, I know better than that. I should have included that info in my first post.

FUNX650
05-22-2011, 07:22 AM
May I suggest: GM Parts | GM Accessories | GM Parts House (http://www.gmpartshouse.com)--they may have what you're looking for.

V3AutoDetailing
05-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Did something happen to your oem one, Or just looking to customize your car.

mcpp66
05-22-2011, 10:50 AM
When I bought it there was some very strong adhesive stuck to it. I tried to get it off but only made it worse. Now I have some permanent stains on it and I can't stand looking at it. The specific component I'm referring to is called the upper pad. I can't believe how expensive this piece is!

V3AutoDetailing
05-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Have you tried dying the spot. If you plan to replace it anyway you dont have much to lose

mcpp66
05-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Have you tried dying the spot. If you plan to replace it anyway you dont have much to lose

Yeah, I did that yesterday and it made it worse. That's what prompted me to start looking for a new upper pad. I used some Forever Black and now that spot sticks out like a sore thumb even more. I guess I could just try dying the whole dash, but now I just don't see the point in doing that. I'll just spend the money on a new upper pad.

I also need to find instructions on how to replace that component. If I'm going to spend that much money on a part I sure don't want to pay for the labor it's going to take me to get it fixed.

C. Charles Hahn
05-22-2011, 11:50 AM
You might check LKQ for a used or aftermarket part. My local facility has one available used (catalog #251-00229) for around $200.

If that doesn't pan out I can get you the OEM part numbers pertaining to just the upper pad (if they offer it that way without buying an entire assembly) and I also have access to a GM service department database that gives full service manuals for any model through 2009.

Just be prepared that replacing a dash is a LOT of work.. you'll have to take literally every part off the old one (radio, HVAC controls, IP cluster, trim parts, lower dash, etc.) and install it onto/into the new one. Not a job for the faint of heart.

mcpp66
05-22-2011, 12:10 PM
You might check LKQ for a used or aftermarket part. My local facility has one available used (catalog #251-00229) for around $200.

If that doesn't pan out I can get you the OEM part numbers pertaining to just the upper pad (if they offer it that way without buying an entire assembly) and I also have access to a GM service department database that gives full service manuals for any model through 2009.

Just be prepared that replacing a dash is a LOT of work.. you'll have to take literally every part off the old one (radio, HVAC controls, IP cluster, trim parts, lower dash, etc.) and install it onto/into the new one. Not a job for the faint of heart.

$200 is really cheap compared to some of the other prices I've seen. I just wish I could see an illustration of what they're selling on their site. If you wouldn't mind getting me the OEM part number and the instructions I'd need to do it myself I'd greatly appreciate it. Although, from the sound of it that may be a job too big for a noob like me.

rwright
05-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Try searching Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market (http://www.car-part.com) it's a nationwide auto salvage yard online database. You can filter by location or price. Best of luck to you! :)

Flash Gordon
05-22-2011, 02:50 PM
When I bought it there was some very strong adhesive stuck to it. I tried to get it off but only made it worse. Now I have some permanent stains on it and I can't stand looking at it. The specific component I'm referring to is called the upper pad. I can't believe how expensive this piece is!

Those adhesives always leave a mark

Have you tried dying the spot.

If you aren't an expierenced uphoulstry person, more then likely you'll only make it look worse

Yeah, I did that yesterday and it made it worse.

See what I mean gt08vapor

mcpp66...the best thing you can do is take it to a profesional uphoulstry shop and have them re-dye the dash. Unless yours is Sun damaged, you don't need a new one, just a pro re-dye

XLNTShine
05-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Often you can find the correct color dye in a spray can. I used to use this to repair kick panels, build custom speaker surounds, mount a pillar gauge setup, and many other things. I used to get the stuff from the guys who sold me my VDO gauges. Look arround and I am sure you can find the correct color or matching color code.

mcpp66
05-22-2011, 03:25 PM
mcpp66...the best thing you can do is take it to a profesional uphoulstry shop and have them re-dye the dash. Unless yours is Sun damaged, you don't need a new one, just a pro re-dye

This is an alternative that I'll definitely look into. Thanks for the suggestions.

Flash Gordon
05-22-2011, 03:30 PM
This is an alternative that I'll definitely look into. Thanks for the suggestions.

For the $200+ spent (new used dash) and time spent on removal and install on your part, I think you'll find thats the smart answer. Besides, if you buy a used dash it may have an adhesive spot on it

Another option is to install a hoola girl or a compass on the spot where your dash is suffering