PDA

View Full Version : Detailing my first motorcycle

rott3np3anut
05-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Hey guys! I'm going to be detailing my first motorcycle tomorrow. My friend is getting ready to sell his Suzuki SV650. It's in pretty good condition, but I have a few questions before I start on it.

First, are there any parts I need to cover before spraying it with water? I know motorcycles are fairly waterproof, but I just want to be careful. I'm planning on using my regular car soap on the paint and some APC and the mini Daytona brush for the engine.

What can I do for the lower part of the exhaust pipe (right side of first picture)? I've got a metal polish I'll use on the muffler. The owner says that orange-brown stuff on the lower part is from some kind of reaction with the heat, and is permanent. I'd love to be able to get rid of it and surprise him. Here's some pics of that part:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144/rott3np3anut/IMG_0540.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144/rott3np3anut/IMG_0543.jpg

Those are my main questions for now. I did some reading and have the general procedure down. I'll let you guys know if I think of anything else!

ThirdgenTa
05-21-2011, 01:44 AM
Just be careful and try not to spray a direct stream of water underneath the seat. On some bikes that's where the computer and electronics are. I'm sure you also know this, but don't dress the tires. You can try your metal polish on the exhaust, but most of the time it won't come out. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Make sure to take before and after pictures and post up.
Good luck.

rott3np3anut
05-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Alright, that's what I was looking for! Thanks a lot!

james_death
05-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Power washers can be deadly on bikes as bust the seals on forks etc.
Metal polish can be used on the exhaust will clean up well, its been done to sell after all.
Degrease the side walls well to give a good look.
Remember plastic are much thiner paint.

4wheelsonline
09-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Applying metal polish would be ok. It will clean up well your exhaust...
Greet motorcycle.