PDA

View Full Version : How to remove road paint off car paint?

kram57
05-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Mark

Mike did you get my email about the product that would take off the paint that splashed onto my plastic molding of my Volvo Station Wagon? I was in your detailing 101 class on Sat. 14th. Remember me? It has some weird name.

Mike Phillips
05-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Got it... just been busy...

I told you it had a funny name and one that is not easily remember as far as correct spelling goes so it makes it hard to do a "Forum Search".

Here's my reply to an older thread on a similar topic about the product...

Overspray removal on rubber window trim (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/19977-overspray-removal-rubber-window-trim.html)

Motsenbocker's LIFT OFF 4

Like I said in the class, finding something that will dissolve DOT or Department of Transportation Road Paint off your car's paint that at the same time won't dissolve your car's paint can be kind of tricky.

We actually carry something here at Autogeek that I have used successfully, just didn't think about it at the time of the class...

Stoner XENIT- Intensive Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/xenit.html)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2156_96640160.jpg

Wear some protective gloves and then saturate a terry cloth hand cloth or something scrubby and then try to scrub it off. Use the product heavy or wet...

Also, don't forget to post your comments about the Saturday Detailing Class 101 here,

Pictures & Comments from May 14th, 2011 Saturday Detailing 101 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/35791-pictures-comments-may-14th-2011-saturday-detailing-101-a.html)

Hope it was a great class for you as I remember you wanted to get some time behind the rotary buffer...

Thanks!

:dblthumb2:

jsgntulok
05-20-2011, 01:20 PM
I am going to get some Motsenbocker's LIFT OFF 4 to try on some yellow road striping paint on my car. I got the small spatters that were on the side of the car by carefully scrapping with plastic razor blade along with Megs Quick Detailer as a lube. I'll try the Motsenbocker's LIFT OFF 4 in the frnder wells and on one of the painted mud guards to see what it might do. Will report back after trying it out.

Tom Weed
05-20-2011, 01:32 PM
last year someone brought me a pickup with the wheel wells and most of the passenger side covered in striping paint. That stuff was as tough as nails, Lacquer Thinner would not touch it... I ended up with Goo-gone and a bunch of plastic razor blades knocking the stuck on paint loose and using a pressure washer up closer than I wanted too... It took two of us an entire day! Good luck!

Midnight Blue
05-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Several years ago I worked as an Independent Sales Rep for Crest Products. We supplied specialty chemical products, adhesives, etc. to body shops.

One of the most popular products we had was ACRY-SOLV, a solvent cleaner. It would easily remove wax, silicone, grease, tar, undercoating, adhesives, sealer and road paint. This product was used mostly as a Pre Sand Solvent but most of the shops used it to clean off the paint before doing any body work.

Crest also made two additional aerosol solvent cleaners which were much stronger and used for other purposes.

I have used ACRY-SOLV not only on painted surfaces but on interior plastics that were stained with grease. Made short work of cleaning.

Midnight Blue

Mike Phillips
05-20-2011, 02:58 PM
last year someone brought me a pickup with the wheel wells and most of the passenger side covered in striping paint.

That stuff was as tough as nails,

And that's the problem. Any paint designed to adhere to asphalt or concrete and have thousands of cars, trucks, s.u.v.s drive over it all day has to be tough. It's not supposed to wear down and it's not supposed to wear off.

So when you get it on your car, anywhere, paint, wheels, bumpers, plastic trim... it's going to be an issue getting it off without at the same time damaging the surface or component it's adhered to...

:)