PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Detergent is it really necessary?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gatoman39
05-20-2011, 10:54 AM
I have a gallon of Costco free and clear laundry detergent, that I want to use to clean my MF towels. I've seen a lot of MF detergents on AG, all of which are fairly expensive. I know not to add bleach, and I've been doing a prewash and an extra rinse. Microfiber Detergent is it critical to use or can I just use the normal stuff. Is there that much of a difference?

LegacyGT
05-20-2011, 10:58 AM
I have just started using Pinnacle MF detergent after I had been having some issues with QD making my WW drying towels not absorb water any more. Have not had a chance to draw a full conclusion yet, but I will post back.

Bodezafa
05-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Good question, I was just going to look into that. Im sure we will get some answers here.

James K
05-20-2011, 11:53 AM
I have never used MF detergent. I always use Tide Free and sometimes use vinegar in the rinse. Never failed me, so I see no reason to change. I do plan on trying some though.

SeaJay's
05-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I've used both detergent and MF detergent. And while regular detergent will work, I find that the MF detergent leaves my mf's much softer than regular detergent. Don't think it cleans them any better, probably about even, but leaves them softer. IMO.

kkreit01
05-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I've always used Costco natural soap, and white vinegar for rinse. They always come out clean & fluffy.

mdb917
05-20-2011, 12:27 PM
I've used both detergent and MF detergent. And while regular detergent will work, I find that the MF detergent leaves my mf's much softer than regular detergent. Don't think it cleans them any better, probably about even, but leaves them softer. IMO.

:iagree: If you choose to use regular detergent (Tide for example) I think it is important to use the 'free/clear' detergents (i.e. no fragance additives, no bleach, etc.).

arenared
05-20-2011, 12:48 PM
I have noticed a definite difference in absorbency using a dedicated MF detergent. The one I use is the Micro-Restore. I usually use this after a wash or soak with some kind of other cleaner to remove the bulk of the dirt/wax.

I have also found there is a product called ProWash detergent that works well. It is targeted for athletic clothing/activewear to remove sweat/oils/sunscreen/etc. from high-tech synthetic/wicking fabrics which I figure are similar to microfiber.

gatoman39
05-20-2011, 04:30 PM
I've always used Costco natural soap, and white vinegar for rinse. They always come out clean & fluffy.
How much white vinegar do you use in the laundry in an average load?

flyinion
05-20-2011, 04:38 PM
How much white vinegar do you use in the laundry in an average load?

As near as I could tell from some Google searching, people were saying either 1/2 a cup or a full cup. So I just kind of split the difference and pour in what looks like about 1/2 to 3/4's cup by eye. Of course, this was for regular laundry use, I don't know if there is a better ratio for MF towel washing.

James K
05-20-2011, 04:47 PM
I use a half cup.

RTexasF
05-20-2011, 05:11 PM
The answer is no. You do not have to buy/use a dedicated microfiber detergent. For what it's worth I tried vinegar in the rinse (one cup) with two loads and two without. There was no difference whatsoever that I could see or feel, none. Both also worked the same on the job. We use Charlies Soap for all washing.

I used to use a dedicated MF soap and got sick & tired of the expense + the killer shipping charges. Once I switched and realized there was no difference I quit ordering it completely. That has saved me a fair chunk of change over time. The towels work the same as they always have.

james_death
05-20-2011, 05:21 PM
I use woolite and or Vinegar.

pfix
05-20-2011, 05:30 PM
The answer is no. You do not have to buy/use a dedicated microfiber detergent. For what it's worth I tried vinegar in the rinse (one cup) with two loads and two without. There was no difference whatsoever that I could see or feel, none. Both also worked the same on the job. We use Charlies Soap for all washing.

I used to use a dedicated MF soap and got sick & tired of the expense + the killer shipping charges. Once I switched and realized there was no difference I quit ordering it completely. That has saved me a fair chunk of change over time. The towels work the same as they always have.

I have noticed a difference in the softness of my towels over time when I use white vinegar in the rinse cycle. I don't measure it out, I just tip up the jug and give it 2 or 3 glugs when pouring.

A gallon of vinegar is so inexpensive, I can't see not using it myself.

Regular Tide for the detergent works just fine for me. Save your money for something more fun than MF detergent.

gatoman39
05-20-2011, 05:43 PM
@flyinion & M.P. Cobra Fan
Is the vinegar only for the rinse cycle?

Save your money for something more fun than MF detergent.
My thoughts exactly!