PDA

View Full Version : orange peel?

flyinion
05-20-2011, 12:56 AM
I think I know the answer, but just in case.........can orange peel be buffed out with a DA and some type of compound? Or does it......as I suspect........require a rotary and/or wetsanding? I've been realizing after looking closely that my factory finish has a fair bit of orange peel when I look at it at the right angle in bright light. Well, for sure on the trunk lid, that's where I keep seeing it the most.

Ted S.
05-20-2011, 12:59 AM
I don't have a DA or rotory, but wetsanding does work well....

Bates Detailing
05-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Wetsand

flyinion
05-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks, I was kinda afraid of that. I may just wait and have it done for me. One of the local guys from the Z forums I visit apparently works at a body shop and said his boss is really good with paint (won a bunch of awards or something) so I may just wait till I have the money to get the front bumper and hood resprayed (typical rock chips/road rash for a Z) and have them do that and the orange peel. I've played with wetsanding a bit in the past with a Saturn SL2 I had that had a lot of scratches around the gas tank filler door but this is a little bigger job than a 1x3 inch section.

Dr Oldz
05-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Wetsanding is the only way. But be careful when wetsanding.... some modern clears aren't thick enough to properly wetsand the orange peel out without going into the basecoat.

flyinion
05-20-2011, 02:01 AM
Wetsanding is the only way. But be careful when wetsanding.... some modern clears aren't thick enough to properly wetsand the orange peel out without going into the basecoat.

Yeah that is why I'm thinking I will let the pro do it. I don't trust myself, and that would be an expensive mistake if I go through the clear.