PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber question

Gondee
05-19-2011, 11:39 PM
First, hey AutoGeek =)

I purchased some Microfiber towels from walmart >_< not knowing that, as you guys have said on here, they would add swirls back into the paint after I had polished it. I looked through AutoGeeks's lineup of microfibers and I'm somewhat confused on what to get. Size and quality wise.

I want to spend no more than $50 dollars shipped.
1. Dry the car (after it has been mostly dried with a Air blower)
2. Use with the detailing spray
3. Buff/remove polish
4. Buff/remove Wax
I will be doing a large 4 door Sedan (M5)

So guys, what should I buy? (is it possible for that amount of cash?) I'm at your mercy... Feed back please =)

Gondee
05-19-2011, 11:41 PM
And currious, on a scale of 1-10 how bad are these :dblthumb2:

There 80/20...

James K
05-19-2011, 11:50 PM
It's really hard to say how those towels would be without personal experience. Don't trash them though. They will be great for underhood, interior, door jambs, and wheels.

As for the new towels, browse through the store and check out the towels available. Autogeek has put a nice chart on most of the pages of towels talking about what is good for what. I just added a bunch of Cobra and various other from the site to my collection because of the great Buy One Get One deals. Make sure you check that as MF towels are in in quiet often.

I would give you better recommendations but since you are trying to stay under a certain amount, and I am on my phone trying to do this, it is a little hard. I am sure someone will chime in quick.

Oh and welcome to the Autogeek community.

tw33k2514
05-19-2011, 11:58 PM
I used those exact towels for a long time. And I can tell you truthfully that they did not ever add swirls to any paint I used them on. That said, they do not come close to Cobra. The Cobras just feel great, and are so smooth to use.

I would get a couple of the guzzlers on BOGO right now. And I personally like the yellow ones for pretty much everything else.

Kaleb G.
05-20-2011, 12:04 AM
And currious, on a scale of 1-10 how bad are these :dblthumb2:

There 80/20...

Those towels are actually pretty nice until you wash them a few times. They get matted and the edges come undone eventually.

Bates Detailing
05-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Am I the only one here that has about 300 MFs from Sams and have had no issues?!?!?! Sure - spend your ridiculous amount on "fancy" MFs , but in all actuality I have had my 300+ MFs since Jan. and have had no swirling issues (washed maybe 15 times)..... seems weird to hear that being a problem. Then again I am a super lucky guy apparently lol :dblthumb2: !

James K
05-20-2011, 12:16 AM
LOL! I don't have a Sam's card.

Bates Detailing
05-20-2011, 12:17 AM
LOL! I don't have a Sam's card.

Me neither lol - there are ways around that :props:

Kaleb G.
05-20-2011, 12:23 AM
I bought those same ones from Walmart and the edges are rock hard or falling apart after 5 or 6 washes. Not plush anymore either. Just my experience though.

maximus20895
05-20-2011, 01:16 AM
I want to know ways around the sam's club..I hear there is going to be a Costco going up in June/July.

BTW Anothony, it's my Bday so you should ship me some beer!

Ted S.
05-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Happy birthday Max.:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

maximus20895
05-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks!

I've just bought 8 or now Walmart has a new 15 pack of MFs. I use them on everything but paint :props:

HeavyMetal
05-20-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm with B&B. I have no prob with Wally World MFs. I use them for just about everything but drying. They're fine for most purposes including buffing of sealant and wax. I just don't use them for drying. The Wally World small drying towel is great for a final buff - very soft, very plush, just not big enough for drying. I have some very nice, large brand-name drying towels (not Cobra) that I got on sale at auto stores.

5.4 Shelby
05-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Same here. I have a ton of MFs. I only use the premium ones on my GT500. I have a large pack of the SAms Club ones. I use them on the paint of my other cars and have not had any trouble with inducing scratches. They are not nearly as plush as the premium ones.

ShaunD
05-20-2011, 10:27 AM
It depends what you are using the MF for. If you are removing a lot of dirt/dust/compounding&polishing dust then you want to swop your towels out so that you don't induce micro marring/swirls from any buildup in the fibers. I used wallyworld mf starting back in 2004 and never had any issues with them then. I still have a couple mf rags that are just that now since they have been used for dirty/greasy stuff. I have an original Microtex drying/buffing towel that has held up well since 04-05 also; the only reason I don't consider it paint/final finish safe anymore is 'cause it accidently got washed with a worn out orange cutting pad and has orange foam stuck to it now. IMO it's like Mike P's says, you have to work clean to get a show car finish. So if your mf's are dirty, regardless of what brand, how much they cost, or where you got them, you run a risk of swirls. Also, always test anything you are unsure of on an inconspicuous area before using it on the whole vehicle. If your are cross contaminating your MF's then you can expect swirls.:) As far a quality of a MF, if you see that is looks kinda cheap before you buy it then you can expect the edges to fray and it to lose its plushness. That being said you have to care for any MF properly for it to last, i.e. use the proper detergent and wash cycle, and don't wash or dry them too hot.