PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo or Flex?

Old Man
05-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Gentlemen,

As a first machine, which would better suit me?

I have no experience with machines, but my tendonitis has gotten the better of me.

At this time, I can only buy one.

Any and all input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bates Detailing
05-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I have the cyclo and have used one for many many years and love it..... BUT - I can say that on automobiles I use it less because of the small areas that have to get hit. On the larger buses, aircraft, rvs, etc - it is an AWESOME tool!

Arnie36
05-19-2011, 09:35 PM
first off, :welcome: to Autogeek Online!

in my opinion, i dont think a first time polisher should be a flex. I would lean more toward a Porter Cable or Griots DA. The free floating spindle DAs cant mess up and damage your paint, and the flex has alot of power behind it.

just my two cents :]

CEE DOG
05-19-2011, 09:52 PM
I haven't used a cyclo but I love my flex and never consider looking elsewhere. I used a GG and the flex is a MUCH more enjoyable experience for me. Maybe not for somebody else but it's what I like.

Ricky Cartagena
05-19-2011, 10:02 PM
If your a beginner definetly the cyclo... I used it my first year and learned alot from it before moving up to a high speed makita. Its all you need until your ready for the next step! I still use it mostly for interior shampooing and for any cleaner waxes on paint like Adams Revive polish, you wont regret it. Give it a try it works!

S2K
05-19-2011, 10:04 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html

"The biggest benefit is they are absolutely user friendly in that because of their free rotating spindle assemblies you can't burn through the paint and as long as you're using DA approved pads and products you can't instill swirls and in fact you can use them to remove swirls safely and effectively."

Read Mikes articles, they will really help you decide what is best for you.

Old Man
05-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for all the input. I've watched the videos. All informative and of course Mike makes all look easy.

Looks like I'm getting a Cyclo first.

prisonerofcs
05-20-2011, 10:39 PM
I got the Griots DA, and I have tendinitis and carpal tunnel. I recommend a good wrist brace at night, and anti-vibe gloves when using the machine. Mechanics wear makes some good fitting gloves with gel palms that really make a difference.

08 300C
05-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Well, I have a Cylco that was made in 1952, Cyclo confirmed this by the Serial number, I got it when the Fire Department threw it out. I replaced the AC Plug and have been using it on my cars ever since. I keep reading about the Flex and Backing Plate issues,etc. NEVER had ANY issues with the Cyclo, has many attachments, and they still make them and all the parts should it ever fail. AND I have never had any issues with it burning my paint, for me its a perfect machine.

Old Man, not sure where you are but if your ever in VA and want to stop by and test it out I'd be happy to let you give it a spin or an Orbital I guess:buffing:

Old Man
05-23-2011, 07:46 AM
08 300C,

Thanks for the offer,much appreciated.

I ordered a Cyclo and a bunch of stuff. Can't wait to try it.

The first guinea pig will be a slate-colored Infiniti with some swirls.

Thanks.

cutter
05-23-2011, 08:11 AM
I have both the Cyclo and the Flex and I can tell you the Cyclo is more user friendly...The Flex has a learning curve and will take some time getting used to. They are both great machines to have.

08 300C
05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
08 300C,

Thanks for the offer,much appreciated.

I ordered a Cyclo and a bunch of stuff. Can't wait to try it.

The first guinea pig will be a slate-colored Infiniti with some swirls.

Thanks.
Make sure you get some good before and after pics, Good luck, I use Wolfgang TSR and the results are amazing. My buddy actually Ithought had re-painted his car he just couldn't beleive it.