PDA

View Full Version : stick on rock guard removal

bk2nrml
05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
ive got a guards red '86 944 turbo that has those stick-on type rock guards on the rear quarter panel and front quarter panels. the front ones still look ok but the back ones, after 26 years, are all cracked. and of course, the cracks are black from the various road grime. i'd like to remove them, clean off whatever is left behind and then put some new ones back on (if thats the way to go these days). i tried to using my fingernail to slowly pull them off. thats not going to get it. is there an easy way to remove them ? is there something that can be brushed on, let it sit and then peel off or ???

thanks in advance

thyno

08 300C
05-19-2011, 03:51 PM
I am no expert on this for sure but Heat usually helps remove most adhesives, maybe try a hairdryer???, I am sure one of the experts will chime in as well. Good luck

bk2nrml
05-19-2011, 09:29 PM
i dont think the heat will help. its pretty brittle

08 300C
05-20-2011, 11:08 PM
WOW I hoping for some more expert weigh in by now, I've often thought of getting some Xpel and wondered what it take to remove and replace.

Flash Gordon
05-21-2011, 08:59 AM
If they are as brittle as you say, your going to need patience above anything else

I would use a heat gun to soften up the adhesive as much as possible, then try and peel it back. If it starts breaking into little pieces, this is where your patience will have to come into the picture

You may also try soaking these with something like 3M adhesive remover. If you do this, be carefull using the heat gun, as the adhesive remover is highly flamable

Good luck

Flash

bk2nrml
05-21-2011, 11:02 PM
well, i jumped into it head first today. i took a small knife, started at one end and slowly peeled as much of it as i could away, exposing the adhesive. after the peeling, i started blotting the 3m adhesive remover on. let it sit for about 2 minutes and then started scraping with a hard piece of plastic. the adhesive started peeling away into a roll along the width of the plastic. it took several passes. i got most of it but there was still a lot of elbow grease involved getting all of the adhesive off. theyve been on the car for 25 years. i did have probs with one of them. its going to take some more work. i spent about 7 hours on them. i got 5 1/2 of the 6 guards off and adhesive removed. i still got to finish the last half of one tomorrow and then go back and wash, clay, gepc, polish and wax the areas i worked over. i was kicking myself in the arse for doing it because of how slow it went, but when i stepped back and looked at the difference, the car sure looks better. i wish i had taken some pics.