PDA

View Full Version : finishing polish or swirl remover?

flyinion
05-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm having a tough time understanding what the difference is. It looks like for instance the Wolfgang finishing polish has some cutting so how do I know when to use a swirl remover first or if the polish is enough? I'm trying to figure out if I can just get away with using a polish of some kind and then jump to sealant/wax?

The main vehicle I'm interested in this for at this time is a black F150 from about 2003 that has a little bit of water spotting and the "standard" "wind scratches" the fine scratches that tend to be down the sides of cars. It doesn't seem to have any serious stuff like spiderwebbing or enough of the fine scratches to make it overly dull. As a matter of fact it looks pretty decent from 5-10 feet away. Unfortunately I don't have any pics to show the condition, and I'm trying to figure out what to add to my order before the sale is over lol.

Emm
05-19-2011, 01:37 PM
I would get both of the Wolfgang polishes, just so you have them. I use them both and they are good polishes. Start with the finish polish and if it doesn't get the paint the way you want it move to the TSR and then step down to the finsh polish.

matt711
05-19-2011, 01:37 PM
I hear very good things about the new Meguires MF system. It's only a 2 step.

-Matt

Emm
05-19-2011, 01:39 PM

-Matt

I haven't tried it yet, but you're right I've heard great tings about it

ScubaCougr
05-19-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm having a tough time understanding what the difference is. It looks like for instance the Wolfgang finishing polish has some cutting so how do I know when to use a swirl remover first or if the polish is enough? I

You won't know until you try a test spot.

This chart has been hugely helpful to me, at least with product selection and getting more, but not too aggressive if the first test spot doesn't produce.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/19746-very-comprehensive-compound-chart.html

flyinion
05-19-2011, 01:56 PM

-Matt

Yeah I'm just hesitant to change everything after I've already invested in other stuff. What do you guys think about the two Wolfgang products vs. whatever else is out there? I also looked briefly at the Pinnacle stuff but not sure what other brands have similar setups. I guess if I followed Mike's philosophy of staying within the brand then I would actually end up with the Pinnacle stuff.

James K
05-19-2011, 02:34 PM
The Megs DAMF setup is great. However, so are MANY other systems. I have not tried to Wolfgang system, but I have heard many great things about it. Others that have good systems are Pinnacle, Mothers, Meguiars, and Menzerna. Any of them would be great.

Emm had it right, start with something that is not aggressive on a test spot and find out just how aggressive you have to go.

flyinion
05-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to go with the "Wolfgang twins". Seeing a lot of good stuff about them.

Edit: Oh nice, just realized it's $5 off if you buy them together, even better.

embolism
05-19-2011, 04:05 PM
don't forget your free sample of WGDGPS. that should top the WG twins nicely

flyinion
05-19-2011, 04:50 PM
don't forget your free sample of WGDGPS. that should top the WG twins nicely

Actually I was ordering a full bottle of that anyway :) So I picked up a sample of the Pinnacle tire gel instead since that's another product I'm interested in.