PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Car Trailer

Crazy Amos
05-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Has anyone worked on one of these? I have a guy with a 54 ft two story enclosed car trailer that needs to be polished and evened out. The original owner had vinyl stickers and graphics on it that have been removed and left behind tracers.

I would like to know what this material is and how to polish it. I assume it is aluminum siding that has been sprayed with some type of a white paint. Having never worked on one I would like to gather as much info on it before I quote it. If I were to guess, I would think it will correct rather easily with a polishing pad and some D151 but would like some input.

This will be an AIO job because this is an insane amount of surface to cover by myself. Not sure of the condition its in but I dont think these oxidize like typical SS paint. Lets just say for the sake of advice the paint is faded with little to no oxidation.

I haven't seen this yet but have been looking online and its absolutely massive.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rwright
05-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Find out the manufacturer of the trailer and give them a call. I'm willing to bet it's the same paint used on a school bus.

*Edit - Just called Featherlite for more information on the paint system they use. Waiting on a return call and will update thread.

Crazy Amos
05-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Wow, thank you Richard. I too will find out the manufacturer of this particular trailer and then hopefully we can brainstorm a good approach.

oldmodman
05-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Be careful!

I have a Wells Cargo trailer (actually a couple of them) and I went right through the "paint" to the primer. After only a couple of passes with a mild compound/wax. Meguiars Cleaner Wax. This was about fifteen years ago and the trailers were five years old at the time.