PDA

View Full Version : Chrome / Fake Chrome

Y2KSVT
05-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Okay, so a recent question on here got me thinking. How can you distinguish between real chrome, and something like a piece of trim that is really just plastic with a chrome film?

To expand on that question, if you're able to tell that what you're working on isn't actually chrome, and is just a chrome-filmed plastic, is there anything that can be used to polish these pieces? I assume those pieces will swirl, just like a painted surface, so how do you go about correcting those pieces?

Mark

CEE DOG
05-19-2011, 10:30 AM
You can use a magnet for material i.d.

I have had very, very good luck polishing different metal (chrome, stainless, etc) with a small white wool pad and M105 on my rotary. Collinite Metal Wax is also another great product you can use after this step. You can put it on with a rotary and a small foam pad. It will shine like crazy!!

I would do a search on "polish chrome" in the AG search box as well. This will give you a bunch of info on different products and techniques.

FUNX650
05-19-2011, 10:54 AM
You can use a magnet for material i.d.
I agree!

I would do a search on "polish chrome" in the AG search box as well. This will give you a bunch of info on different products and techniques.

"Plastic Chrome" is basically ABS or ABS+PC that has been coated by an electrolyte deposition of chromium (sometimes aluminum) process. This vacuum-metalized plastic"s film is very thin. Non-abrasive products should be your choice for maintenance as abrasives will only induce more scratches and the ultimate removal of this very thin coating. PlastX, Plexus, glass cleaners, a pure carnuba wax, detail sprays--or similar products that has no abrasives. IMO, Forrest@Mother's would be a good source to tap into.

Y2KSVT
05-19-2011, 11:27 AM
FUNX725,
Wow, great information! I wasn't sure if any abrasives should be used (I was thinking, maybe M205 by hand), but now I know to avoid them. I'll just top them with a carnauba wax when the rest of the paint is getting protected.

Corey,
I did a search, but everything I was coming up with talked about real chrome. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Mark

PA DETAILER
05-19-2011, 11:33 AM
"Plastic Chrome" is basically ABS or ABS+PC that has been coated by an electrolyte deposition of chromium (sometimes aluminum) process. This vacuum-metalized plastic"s film is very thin. Non-abrasive products should be your choice for maintenance as abrasives will only induce more scratches and the ultimate removal of this very thin coating. PlastX, Plexus, glass cleaners, a pure carnuba wax, detail sprays--or similar products that has no abrasives. IMO, Forrest@Mother's would be a good source to tap into.

great advice. my gmc grille is made of this. nothing but a cleaner wax or something with NO abrasives! sealant/pure wax etc. my wheels are also this way. not a true chrome from the factory but chrome "skins". also have to be carefull with them too.

richy
05-19-2011, 11:42 AM
P21S polishing soap is a good product for that. It has very slight abrasiveness to it and offers protection on its own. Another great choice is collinite metal wax.

FUNX650
05-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Another great choice is collinite metal wax.

I have never used this product, but after reading the description/usages and its MSDS, I'm going to give it a try on some of my stainless and chrome parts. I saw where one its chemical compounds is morpholine (no, not morphine LOL) with one of its purposes ,among several, is being a rust inhibitor, and is even used where there are steam operations. Sounds like good stuff.

Thanks Richy for the heads-up!

Y2KSVT
05-19-2011, 02:46 PM
P21S polishing soap is a good product for that. It has very slight abrasiveness to it and offers protection on its own. Another great choice is collinite metal wax.

Very nice! I just received some P21S metal polishing soap from AG about 2 weeks ago. I just wasn't sure if it would work, being that the fake chrome isn't really metal. I'll give it a shot!

Mark

Bunky
05-19-2011, 06:51 PM
I recommend a cleaner wax to clean/protect plastic chrome.

forrest@mothers
05-20-2011, 03:49 PM
The plastic that is chrome clad (grills, even some wheels - a plastic face that's cladded and then glued to a steel rim) is much softer than "real" chrome. We suggest an occasional cleaner wax and regular use of a spray wax.

You can't "polish" it because of its softness. I'd be hesitant to use anything too abrasive, or made for "real chrome" plating.

jpegs13
05-20-2011, 05:53 PM
I'd be confident in saying that you'll have a hard time finding "real" chrome trim on ANY car today. ( Except for wheels)

BillE
05-21-2011, 06:52 AM
I'll just add...'plastic chrome' is RIDICULOUSLY thin!!!

Also, don't let ANYTHING with ammonia (probably other chemicals like that as well) near it..it dissolves it right off the plastic backing...Don't even ask how I know that one...LOL.

Bill