PDA

View Full Version : Swirl removers and Glazes

Pages : [1] 2

Luke
01-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Okay, I have been reading, and the BEST swirl remover is the XMT series, am I correct? I am talking about using a buffer. I use Wolfgang total swirl remover for all my cars right now, and it works pretty well, AND it is one step. I read about Optimum polish, is that good? What would be the best 1 step polish for my cars?

Now what about glazes? I currently use Wolfgang finishing glaze, and it works well. Is XMT carauba glaze probably the best?

Thanks to all in advance.

nick19
01-09-2007, 07:05 PM
To each has his own, but I just ordered Optimum's Compound for use..

XMT is pretty good, PB's, Optimum, Meg's #80 line, and DP I've heard good results. I have personally used Meg's and like them, but like I said I ordered some OC. I will be picking up a bottle of PB's SS3 and SSR2 at DF. I like to try new products, but there's only been a handful of swirls Meg's #83 can't get it out.

I guess you probably would need to try out something you're interested in. See if a member here has some you can try.

Hope this helps some..

-Nick :awesome:

ScottB
01-09-2007, 07:06 PM
everything is personal preference ... XMT is great, so is Poorboys, Optimum and Menzerna in polishes.

On a one step you could consider Klasse AIO (chemical cleaner only) , Poorboys Polish w/sealant, and the new Optimum Opti-Seal. All have nice records and two are abrasive polishes.

Glaze -- this is one of the most abused words in detailing. A glaze is a filler product that adds oil and gloss to finish prior to protection. In almost every sense, including the two you offered, it is more of a very light abrasive polish with some friendly fillers or protection.

Luke
01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Oh, I see. How about this. Using XMT #2, then use a glaze. Will that take out any damage that #2 caused, or will I have to use #1? Does glaze help improve the overall depth, shine, or whatever you want to call it? And also, The Optimum polish says do not exceed 1400 RPMS. What polisher is that refering to? Dual action or circular polishers?

nick19
01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
A glaze should, for the most part, take care of anything #2 leaves behind, if anything.

The Optimum Polish can be used on a PC, with some skill. They are referring to RPM's, which is rotary, and OPM (orbits per minute) refers to a PC.

What's the difference between OP and OC? Both say to use a rotary, and both specify they will remove swirls. I'm thinking OC is a little more abrasive than OP.

-Nick

supercharged
01-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh, I see. How about this. Using XMT #2, then use a glaze. Will that take out any damage that #2 caused, or will I have to use #1? Does glaze help improve the overall depth, shine, or whatever you want to call it? And also, The Optimum polish says do not exceed 1400 RPMS. What polisher is that refering to? Dual action or circular polishers?
RPM is for rotary, OPM is for Dual action polisher.

Bobjones
01-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Does anyone use Menzerna???

Just tossing up between getting some 106FF or the Optimum Polish...

nick19
01-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Yes, 106FF is one of the best polishes. Optimum makes some quality products. You can't go wrong with Merenza.. :cheers:

supercharged
01-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Does anyone use Menzerna???

Just tossing up between getting some 106FF or the Optimum Polish...
Menzerna PO106FF is one of the best finishing polishes. It cost much more - $50 for 32oz bottle. Optimum is much cheaper.

Whitethunder46
01-10-2007, 01:00 AM
For a newb like me, I've had pretty good sucess with XMT starting off.

I do however wish they offered an even more aggressive polish, like a #4 or something. #3 is labeled as an "intermediate" swirl remover.

For this reason, I'm going to order PB's SSR3 to complete my arsenal.
Once I run out, I might try optimum's OC and OP.

nick19
01-10-2007, 01:04 AM
For a newb like me, I've had pretty good sucess with XMT starting off.

I do however wish they offered an even more aggressive polish, like a #4 or something. #3 is labeled as an "intermediate" swirl remover.

For this reason, I'm going to order PB's SSR3 to complete my arsenal.
Once I run out, I might try optimum's OC and OP.

I just ordered some OC today, and I'll be sure to try it out and give you a headsup on how it worked out for me. I have a really hard CC on my white paint, which will have TONS of swirls when I get my car back from the bodyshop (dang guys) I had some parts repainted, and I know orange peel and swirls will be a must. It took me a good day just to get out the swirls on my car about 7 months ago. I have some new goodies to try out when my car gets out of the shop.

-Nick

Bobjones
01-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Menzerna PO106FF is one of the best finishing polishes. It cost much more - $50 for 32oz bottle. Optimum is much cheaper.

Cost is irrelvant, the result is what I am after, there is also P085RD which is less cut and same gloss rating and it is about the same price as Optimum. So many choices....however the PO85RD from what I have heard should be followed by a final polish or the PO106FF????

Luke
01-10-2007, 03:02 AM
So XMT #2 does not leave behind any marring or new swirl marks? Should I use a glaze with a white pad after I use it to fill everything else? Or should I use a black pad like I have been using?

P1et
01-10-2007, 10:01 AM
I have only used Poorboys to date and can safely say that I've been very impressed with the results. I have not gone more aggressive than SSR2.5 and that took care of some very deep scratches in a Lexus I detailed. My only gripe is that it dusts more than XMT apparantly, but I wash cars after polishing so it's never really an issue.

Whitethunder46
01-10-2007, 11:20 AM
So XMT #2 does not leave behind any marring or new swirl marks? Should I use a glaze with a white pad after I use it to fill everything else? Or should I use a black pad like I have been using?

I've used green pad with XMT 2 and left a perfect finish