PDA

View Full Version : After paint correction what now?

Tek-nique
05-19-2011, 03:24 AM
Hi all...

I've done the Meguiars DA paint correction system on my car 2 1/2 weeks ago (i lost count). But it has been raining all week, and here in maryland we wont get sunshine until Saturday. Ahhhhhh its killing me not washing my car and taking care of it like I want it to. During sunny days before we all got this rain here in maryland, every morning I wipe down my car to get rid of all the pollen that has been collected. Then detail it with my fav. QD. I hope with all that QD i have put in it be a much easier wash this coming Saturday.

Question do I need to clay bar the whole car again and give it a wax?

Can I just wash it with a 2 bucket system and wax it with the Meguiars D301 or with a different wax like Meguiars NXT 2.0?

Its a daily car; Toyota 2010 Camry. I am buy meguiars because it's locally sold... Any recommendations on how to get out of Meguiars line (not that their bad in anyways) is just that I would like to try other products that can do as good or if not better than Meguiars.

maximus20895
05-19-2011, 03:36 AM
You usually only need to clay twice a year so after 2 1/2 weeks there is no need.

I would suggest you get some Optimum No Rinse if you want to wash your car inside.

D301 is not exactly a wax I don't think. I mean you can leave the car after that step, but it won't give you the results of a wax or sealant.

I would suggest getting Menzerna Power Lock for a sealant. :)

jslym777
05-19-2011, 03:41 AM
you dont need to clay bar it again... give it a good wash and be gentle since you just corrected it (dont want to put more swirls in already) if its a daily driver i would apply a sealant on it (i use four star ultimate paint protection), they are more durable than waxes and you can always top them with a wax for optimum shine/protection. make sure you let it cure before you top it with a wax though. i usually top my sealant with autoglym HD but any decent quality carnauba wax would work just fine. since you did your correction, you might as well take the steps into protecting the paint and doing it right.

Tek-nique
05-19-2011, 03:56 AM
Thank for the suggestions and tips. I didn't put any wax or sealant after I did D301 though.... :( Is that a bad thing?

Looks like im'a go buy more stuff this week. :)

jslym777
05-19-2011, 04:07 AM
it isnt a bad thing it will actually make the process of sealing easier. the one thing you want to make sure of is that the paint is free of any prior products/oil before you seal it. so when you wash it again add a shot of APC to your bucket of suds if you have it, creates kind of a citrus wash to remove anything on it like oil residue from polishing. or you can buy a dedicated wash like chemical guys citrus wash (this is what i use) let the suds sit on it for a few before you rinse it off. once you wash it, again be gentle... then id suggest using something better than NXT to seal it, get a true sealant. autogeek is offering great discounts right now, 15% off so if you have some spare change id invest in some decent products

Tek-nique
05-19-2011, 04:22 AM
Jslym77 thanks again! I will look into getting that chemical guys citrus wash you suggested.

For a Magnetic Metallic Gray paint what type of sealant do you recommend to bring out that Metallic shine?

1. A friend of mind recommended the Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant but AG doesn't carry their product.

I looked up autoglym HD, i hear nothing but good things about it...

jslym777
05-19-2011, 04:43 AM
compile a list of what type of products youre interested in and we can help you out

james_death
05-19-2011, 06:01 AM
As stated no need to clay again.

Removing all polishing residue etc a IPA wipe down or simply a APC solution as cheap and easy to lay your hands on.

You dont want to be using a strong citrus cleaner each time you wash or you will be removing your wax etc every time or at least shortening its life span.

Sealant highly recommended on daily driver as will last longer tahn a wax but can top the sealant with a wax for more warmth to the finish rather than the often sterile sealant look.

How about Optimum Optiseal super easy to apply WOWA product Wipe on and walk away, you could even top this with the OCW optimum car wax spray on and wipe off...:xyxthumbs:

rickw
05-21-2011, 08:33 AM
what is wait time or cure time after applying wolfgang paint sealent before I can apply wax,Thanks,Rick

Matt575
05-21-2011, 09:04 AM
what is wait time or cure time after applying wolfgang paint sealent before I can apply wax,Thanks,Rick

12 hours minimum

rickw
05-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks much,guy trying to rush me,he'll have to wait,Rick