PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Siding

Jeff120
05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
I need to clean my white vinyl siding. The side that gets shade most of the time has some algae under the lip. Beside a pressure washer, what products have you used that work well for getting algae/mildew stains off?

Dr Oldz
05-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Spray nine. Usually available locally too!

S2K
05-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Regular old bleach mixed 50/50 with water in a garden sprayer with a little dish soap. Hose off the siding, spray it down with the mixture, let dwell for a few minutes then spray off with hose. It will get rid of all that green algae/mildew and will make it sparkle! I do this to my vinyl siding once a year, it's easy, cheap and works great.

Finemess
05-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Krud Kutter works well, just did my house last weekend.

Jeff120
05-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I was thinking of a bleach mixture, but I dont want to kill my grass or any of the other plantings around the house. Cant imagine that bleach would be to good for the plants.

S2K
05-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I was thinking of a bleach mixture, but I dont want to kill my grass or any of the other plantings around the house. Cant imagine that bleach would be to good for the plants.

I have many plants and flowers up close to my house also and have never hurt any of them. I think the bleach gets so diluted after all the rinsing it won't hurt them. I have been using this method for about 15 years with no issues except very clean looking vinyl.
Just wear old clothes, an old hat and glasses.

jfelbab
05-18-2011, 07:17 PM
I've used a 3% bleach solution. Bleach is typically sold in a 6% solution in the grocery stores. So you would add equal parts of water to get the 3% mix. Apply with a pump sprayer and let it dwell for about 5 minutes but don't let it dry. Rinse with a pressure washer if you have one and be sure to wear gloves and goggles when working with this. Work from the top down but wet the whole area before you begin. This mix worked well for me not only to clean but also to kill algae and mildew. This same solution also works well on roofs that have staining from mildew or mold.

RTexasF
05-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Regular old bleach mixed 50/50 with water in a garden sprayer with a little dish soap. Hose off the siding, spray it down with the mixture, let dwell for a few minutes then spray off with hose. It will get rid of all that green algae/mildew and will make it sparkle! I do this to my vinyl siding once a year, it's easy, cheap and works great.

That's exactly what the professional painters did prior to painting our house. It worked perfectly and not one blade of grass or plant was harmed.

Jeffrey
05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
JOMAX House Cleaner and Mildew Killer. 3 1/4 quarts of water + 2 1/4 cups of bleach + 3/4 cups of JOMAX equals 1 gallon of cleaning solution. Use in a pump sprayer, and always spray your plants well with water before spraying the cleaning solution and then again after rinsing. 1 gallon of JOMAX makes 20 gallons of cleaning solution. I cost about $16.00 Hope this helps.

WEST SIDE
05-18-2011, 11:58 PM
JOMAX House Cleaner and Mildew Killer. 3 1/4 quarts of water + 2 1/4 cups of bleach + 3/4 cups of JOMAX equals 1 gallon of cleaning solution. Use in a pump sprayer, and always spray your plants well with water before spraying the cleaning solution and then again after rinsing. 1 gallon of JOMAX makes 20 gallons of cleaning solution. I cost about $16.00 Hope this helps.

Jomax is a booster and works really well if you have areas that a regular bleach mix won't do.Your skin will take a beating from it as well.

I mix 1quart bleach to 4gal. of water and then apply with a sprayer or purchase an x-jet attachment for your pressure washer and you're good to go.

Phinox
05-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Amazing roll off works well for this. Wet down the wall spray on ARO wait like 5 minutes and rinse.

Jeff120
05-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the input. I may have to try several products. May have to do a few test spots!