PDA

View Full Version : finish kare sirr vs. iron x

poweraid
05-18-2011, 06:16 PM
I see lots of good info and positive results with iron x. finish kare has a similar product. although it may be a 3 step paint decontamination system . 1. soil and coating remover 2. steel iron rust remover(sirr) 3. shampoo .
I guess I'm Looking for some info on the finish kare product. does it work ? what others like - dislike about it . cost effectiveness ? any info would help .

poweraid
05-18-2011, 06:44 PM
I see lots of good info and positive results with iron x. finish kare has a similar product. although it may be a 3 step paint decontamination system . 1. soil and coating remover 2. steel iron rust remover(sirr) 3. shampoo .
I guess I'm Looking for some info on the finish kare product. does it work ? what others like - dislike about it . cost effectiveness ? any info would help .

would u have to use the 3 step or just using sirr is all u need . which looks like what iron x is comparable too ?

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I used the Finish Kare three step decontamination system. It is a fine product in it's own right. However, there is NO comparison to Iron X. After using Iron X, I still have one and a half bottles of the SIRR on my shelf.

FUNX650
05-19-2011, 12:57 AM
RE: Decomtamination Systems

The Finish Kare System: USA Co.(Floyd Meguiar's) Used this
system in the past...really works, but, some of the chemical make-up is too aggressive, IMO. (contains sulfuric acid)

Iron Cut/IronX: Japanese and other manufacturers...Haven't used yet. I've heard the claim that it removes iron particles, but not other non-metallic contamination, and apparently will damage plastic chrome.(contains ammonium sulfanylacetate)

ValuGard ABC System: USA Co. I have assisted in its use once with excellent results. Tested, approved, recommended, and used by many, many OEMs. Removes iron particles and most, if not all, other environmental contaminates. 3-step system: Has oxalic acid (not as aggressive as sulfuric), neutralizer, wash.

Note: Acids used in formulations for car care...As I see it, and, IMO...It's the type, percentage(%), and purity of acids that, determines on most occasions, what I will or will not use on vehicles, and therefore have the least exposure to myself and our environment of the least harmful of chemicals/contaminates.

Hope this will be helpful in your selection of decomtamination systems.

C. Charles Hahn
05-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Iron Cut/IronX: Japanese and other manufacturers...Haven't used yet. I've heard the claim that it removes iron particles, but not other non-metallic contamination, and apparently will damage plastic chrome.(contains ammonium sulfanylacetate)

This is no longer true... per the manufacturer's rep the formula has been updated and it does not damage plastic chrome (I've used it on/around such trim and can verify this to be true). So as long as you're buying the newest version of the product like AG stocks you'll be fine.

:dblthumb2:

FUNX650
05-19-2011, 07:49 AM
This is no longer true... per the manufacturer's rep the formula has been updated and it does not damage plastic chrome (I've used it on/around such trim and can verify this to be true). So as long as you're buying the newest version of the product like AG stocks you'll be fine.

:dblthumb2:

That's good news---Thanks---That changes my outlook on this decomtamination system in regards to plastic chrome potential damage. Does the new formulation also remove other environmental contaminates besides the iron/ferrous ones?

Thanks for any input you may have on this matter...a one-step system, if so effective, would be more preferrable.

C. Charles Hahn
05-19-2011, 08:19 AM
That's good news---Thanks---That changes my outlook on this decomtamination system in regards to plastic chrome potential damage. Does the new formulation also remove other environmental contaminates besides the iron/ferrous ones?

Thanks for any input you may have on this matter...a one-step system, if so effective, would be more preferrable.

No, it does not remove non-ferrous contaminants; it does however make the claying process much faster and the clay stays cleaner for longer than it otherwise would.

Personally I think the effectiveness and usefulness of IronX is totally dependent on the environmental conditions a vehicle is subjected to. Where I am we have a number of manufacturing facilities that put out a good amount of IFO and plenty of rail dust as well, so I find IronX does a great job of cutting the worst of it. If you're in an area where not much of that contamination is in the air, you probably won't see much use for the product.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnnYFmWf2QI]YouTube - ‪CarPro IronX Demo‬‏[/video]

You can see in this demo I shot that while IronX did make a noticeable difference, there are still a lot of contaminants that need to be removed through other means -- in this case a combination of a solvent to dissolve the larger tar deposits, and a clay bar to take care of the rest.

FUNX650
05-19-2011, 09:09 AM
No, it does not remove non-ferrous contaminants; it does however make the claying process much faster and the clay stays cleaner for longer than it otherwise would.

Personally I think the effectiveness and usefulness of IronX is totally dependent on the environmental conditions a vehicle is subjected to. Where I am we have a number of manufacturing facilities that put out a good amount of IFO and plenty of rail dust as well, so I find IronX does a great job of cutting the worst of it. If you're in an area where not much of that contamination is in the air, you probably won't see much use for the product.

YouTube - ‪CarPro IronX Demo‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnnYFmWf2QI)

You can see in this demo I shot that while IronX did make a noticeable difference, there are still a lot of contaminants that need to be removed through other means -- in this case a combination of a solvent to dissolve the larger tar deposits, and a clay bar to take care of the rest.

Thanks Shiny Lil Detlr...Charlie, as usual, your input is always informative, insightful, and I welcome your thoughts.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a true "one-step" decomtamination system? Who knows. With new and improved products seemingly being introduced daily,(this being due somewhat to new technology, the research and developement involved in this new tech., and the need to meet more and more eco-friendly VOC compliant demands), this may not be a far reach from now.

C. Charles Hahn
05-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks Shiny Lil Detlr...Charlie, as usual, your input is always informative, insightful, and I welcome your thoughts.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a true "one-step" decomtamination system? Who knows. With new and improved products seemingly being introduced daily,(this being due somewhat to new technology, the research and developement involved in this new tech., and the need to meet more and more eco-friendly VOC compliant demands), this may not be a far reach from now.

Indeed! I would love a one-step decontamination system. I really kind of wish I'd thought about that last night while chatting with Dr. G from Optimum, he was asking the group for new product recommendations and ideas and I have a feeling he'd be able to make it happen if anyone could.