PDA

View Full Version : Buffing out bad tree rash...tips?

Impulsive
05-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi folks, new here, just registered.

I have an obscure car obcession, with Isuzus to be exact. This is my 2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS. Isuzu's limited production halo vehicle.

http://www.nofuture.com/lj/2009/07-18-09/23.jpg

A month or so back, I rolled 100,000 miles on the odometer, and I decided it is now time to give the old girl a break. Basically, I want to clean the VX up and keep her as my "garage queen".

I have a lot of new parts for the VX, including brand new headlights and lots of exterior trim bits that will make her look almost new. The interior is pretty much spotless, but I can't lie, over the years I have had my fun. On one particular 4x4 trip, we found ourselves about 40 miles into a trail that suddenly became overgrown for a bit. Needless to say, my nice black paint job got some pretty wicked trail rash on that trip. Here's a look:
http://www.nofuture.com/lj/2009/07-15-09/05.jpg

Now most of these tree scratches are light, but there are some that have left a more permanant mark. What I would like to do at this point, is give the paint a good detailing and see where I stand with it. I have not made the decision yet, as to if I will have the entire vehicle repainted or if a good detailing will look "good enough" for me. Some body work will be required on the hood and tailgate, as I have some small dents and rock chips that will need repairing by professionals.

So, long story short, I bought the Griot's Garage Random Orbital Polish & Wax Stick Kit yesterday and I can't wait to get started. Any tips or pointers to get these deeper scratches out? I understand my results may not be 100%, but I am going to try my best and see how it comes out.

------------------------------------------------------------

My next project, is the complete restoration of a 1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo Special Edition. These cars are extremely rare these days, and even rarer in this condition.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/525/4769/38812384028_large.jpg

The paint on this car is original and in really nice shape for 20+ years. When it comes to cleaning up this car's paint, I think the job will be relatively easy. Do you guys suggest a normal thorough washing, claying, and polishing and waxing to bring it back to it's former glory? Or being that this car is older, some other suggestions?

Another area that needs fixing is on the rear of the car, there is some pin striping that needs replacing. You can kind of see it in this photo (above the key hole).
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/525/4769/38812384037_large.jpg

What is the best way to remove this old pin striping so I can replace it with new?

Also, this car has the original white special edition rims. I have gotten them pretty clean, but in the tighter corners, there is 20+ years of brake dust and road filth that I just cannot get off, even with hours of scrubbing. Any suggestions there?
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/525/4769/38812384031_large.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Bart

serenity
05-18-2011, 04:03 PM
If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail then they are too deep to get out. Wetsanding and using Meguiars M105 and M205 with your griots would make it look a whole lot better though. Even just M105 with a yellow or orange pad and M205 with a white should make it acceptable until you decide to repaint it.

maluminas
05-18-2011, 10:42 PM
For the wheels on the Impulse, IronX or Sonax Wheel Cleaner will bust the brake dust easily, but i've never seen white rims before and i don't know if they would be safe on whatever kind of paint is on them.

You've tried scrubbing, have you tried claying? You can shape the clay to reach pretty tight corners.

Bates Detailing
05-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Cool Rims - reminds me of the movie Tron for some reason???

Impulsive
05-19-2011, 10:37 AM
If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail then they are too deep to get out. Wetsanding and using Meguiars M105 and M205 with your griots would make it look a whole lot better though. Even just M105 with a yellow or orange pad and M205 with a white should make it acceptable until you decide to repaint it.

Cool, thanks. Actually, there is only one scratch that I can kinda catch my fingernail on. The others are not that deep. I will try the M105 and M205. I will post before and after shots of this for sure. :dblthumb2:

For the wheels on the Impulse, IronX or Sonax Wheel Cleaner will bust the brake dust easily, but i've never seen white rims before and i don't know if they would be safe on whatever kind of paint is on them.

You've tried scrubbing, have you tried claying? You can shape the clay to reach pretty tight corners.
I have not tried claying the wheels. They are powdercoated white, at least that's what they feel like. I don't think it is just paint. I will look into the IronX and Sonax for sure.

Cool Rims - reminds me of the movie Tron for some reason???
Yeah, they have that 80's sci-fi look, don't they?

Thanks!

Bart