PDA

View Full Version : Product for cleaning canvas on camper?

rvx290
05-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I am fixing up an old mid 70s tent trailer, Its coming alot great, but the canvas has a few different colors (orange and white stripes on the part that folds out ...gotta love the 70s) and is very dirty & neglected, I am wondering if my Meguiars APC would help on this? or if there are any products I could even get at a hardware store etc that are better suited to clean canvas?

James K
05-18-2011, 12:01 AM
My two favorite items for cleaning canvas are Amazing Roll Off, which you can get right here on autogeek or at marine stores, or Woolite. I use ARO when I have really dirty convertible tops to deal with and it works great.

Phinox
05-18-2011, 01:26 AM
ARO is the way to go for canvas it works very well and will remove most stains and even mildew.

Meghan
05-18-2011, 06:57 AM
I will also chime in on Amazing Roll Off, I use it for a lot of stuff around the house too.

rvx290
05-18-2011, 04:58 PM
I will also chime in on Amazing Roll Off, I use it for a lot of stuff around the house too.

I will order some ARO now that I know, but is there something similar I could purchase locally? Would a tire cleaner work in a pinch?

James K
05-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Tire cleaners can be very harsh. I would be careful with them. Order the ARO, but in the mean time, give Woolite (if it is a dark canvas use the Woolite for Dark Colors) and mix it in water like you would with a car wash soap. Use a soft bristle brush and scrub.

rvx290
05-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Tire cleaners can be very harsh. I would be careful with them. Order the ARO, but in the mean time, give Woolite (if it is a dark canvas use the Woolite for Dark Colors) and mix it in water like you would with a car wash soap. Use a soft bristle brush and scrub.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, (taking it camping this weekend) I never even considered putting elbow grease into the old canvas until I realized how much the rest of the old camper came back to life, I will do the woolite for now & order some ARO to get it ready for the next one, thanks for the speedy replies